Purchasing first Functional Sword

ShadowWolfAlpha
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:25 am

Purchasing first Functional Sword

Postby ShadowWolfAlpha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:49 pm

Hey,

We've been trying to find ourselves a good quality functional Samurai Sword. I've looked across a number of websites - and this one seems to have the greatest selection.

Does anyone have any good recommendations - I'm a bit anxious about purchasing online as the quality may be incredibly poor, the blade not sharp, or that it'll fall apart in my hands. Need people who've already purchased from here before to give me reassurance.

Thanks

SWA

User avatar
Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin
Posts: 9987
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:00 pm
Location: The Best Midlands
Contact:

Re: Purchasing first Functional Sword

Postby Big Lazy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:31 am

Whats your budget?
Pimp or die baby!

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Re: Purchasing first Functional Sword

Postby Moon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:06 am

ShadowWolfAlpha wrote:I'm a bit anxious about purchasing online as the quality may be incredibly poor, the blade not sharp, or that it'll fall apart in my hands. Need people who've already purchased from here before to give me reassurance.

Thanks

SWA

I thought you'd purchased from Blades-UK before. :S
ShadowWolfAlpha wrote:Hey,

Just purchased the Black Twin Ninja Set as I was recommended them for starting out to learn how to use Dual Blades.

Has anyone else purchased these before, or something similar, and could they give their (re)views on them.

Thanks

SWA

As Larnz said, pick a few out within your budget and maybe somebody who has one or more of them can help you out, if not, I'm sure that the guys can advise you as long as you don't intend to chop a car up with it.
Post links please, it can be a PITA finding them at times.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

ShadowWolfAlpha
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:25 am

Re: Purchasing first Functional Sword

Postby ShadowWolfAlpha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:12 pm

Hey,

I purchased one - but had to cancel the order unfortunately.

My Budget is around the £200 - pushing it to £250 if it's extremely recommended. As I said, first time sword buyer - so i'd go higher in the future if it's what I wanted to continue doing.

Thanks a lot

SWA

EDIT: Sorry - just read through the aforementioned post.

Was looking at the Paul Chen Practical Katana, or the Practical Plus (Not entirely sure what is different about the two)

luke20
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Re: Purchasing first Functional Sword

Postby luke20 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Personally I would go for either one of the deluxe katana's or the clay bronze katana just purely for aesthetic reasons, although if you're thinking about doing any serious cutting then i've heard you can't go wrong with the paul chen practical range.

ShadowWolfAlpha
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:25 am

Re: Purchasing first Functional Sword

Postby ShadowWolfAlpha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:33 pm

luke20 wrote:Personally I would go for either one of the deluxe katana's or the clay bronze katana just purely for aesthetic reasons, although if you're thinking about doing any serious cutting then i've heard you can't go wrong with the paul chen practical range.


Serious cutting is the main purpose of this sword :)

User avatar
pjm
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Re: Purchasing first Functional Sword

Postby pjm » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:20 pm

paul chen practical plus
If i didn't have bad luck i would have no luck at all

ShadowWolfAlpha
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:25 am

Re: Purchasing first Functional Sword

Postby ShadowWolfAlpha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:21 pm

pjm wrote:paul chen practical plus


Why would you recommend this one? And what difference is there between the Practical and the Practical Plus

User avatar
Geordie Ross
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: South Shields Tyne and Wear
Contact:

Re: Purchasing first Functional Sword

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:57 pm

The practical plus is far superior to the practical katana. Firstly, you can disassemble the plus, it also has a real rayskin (same), and a far more pronounced hamon (temper line) and higher quality furnishings, (tsuba/menuki/kashira/fuchi)
I'll refer you to the FAQ page to understand the fittings and jargon I'm talking about.
http://www.blades-uk.com/faqs.php

Have you decided on a budget? After all, your choice is only limited by your budget.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

User avatar
pjm
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Re: Purchasing first Functional Sword

Postby pjm » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:29 am

Geordie Ross wrote:The practical plus is far superior to the practical katana. Firstly, you can disassemble the plus, it also has a real rayskin (same), and a far more pronounced hamon (temper line) and higher quality furnishings, (tsuba/menuki/kashira/fuchi)
I'll refer you to the FAQ page to understand the fittings and jargon I'm talking about.
http://www.blades-uk.com/faqs.php

Have you decided on a budget? After all, your choice is only limited by your budget.



said it better that i could geordie
If i didn't have bad luck i would have no luck at all

User avatar
Geordie Ross
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: South Shields Tyne and Wear
Contact:

Re: Purchasing first Functional Sword

Postby Geordie Ross » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:27 pm

You have a few choices for 200-250. The best are the hanwei (Paul Chen) katanas
1. Practical plus katana http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=107
2. Practical fantasy katana aka practical pro katana aka matrix katana http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=186
3. Clay bronze katana. http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=4278
4. Anything from the hand forged section. http://www.blades-uk.com/view_items.php?cat_id=118
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

ShadowWolfAlpha
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:25 am

Re: Purchasing first Functional Sword

Postby ShadowWolfAlpha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:08 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:You have a few choices for 200-250. The best are the hanwei (Paul Chen) katanas
1. Practical plus katana http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=107
2. Practical fantasy katana aka practical pro katana aka matrix katana http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=186
3. Clay bronze katana. http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=4278
4. Anything from the hand forged section. http://www.blades-uk.com/view_items.php?cat_id=118


Does the Practical plus Katana come with a Box at all? There wasn't any information about that in the description.

Secondly, the Clay Bronze Katana looks nice. Both the Practical Plus and the Clay Bronze are within my 200-250 range, with the Practical Plus pushing it OFC.

If it came down to it, between the two, which one would you recommend?

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Re: Purchasing first Functional Sword

Postby Moon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:52 pm

Forget any fancy box, it's what's inside it that counts.

The Practical Plus has been going forever and it's track record speaks for itself.

Blade or bling? the choice is yours. :|
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

User avatar
Lone Wolf
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:33 pm
Location: The path between the two rivers.

Re: Purchasing first Functional Sword

Postby Lone Wolf » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:18 pm

When I got a practical plus it came in a big lump of polystyrene that it fitted in like a glove, I still have it, where as many of those cheap koto boxes have been chucked I don't think much of them they are flimsy cumbersome things.

If you are looking for something to transport one to class your better off buying something seperate tho they all come with sword bags you could chuck in the back of a car.

ShadowWolfAlpha
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:25 am

Re: Purchasing first Functional Sword

Postby ShadowWolfAlpha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:51 pm

I was thinking about a Sword Bag, I was just hoping for something that didn't look like it contained a Sword. Although it takes 30 seconds from the car to the place of usage, I don't want to get in any trouble over it.

The Practical Plus looks like the sword i'll be getting though - Thanks a lot guys :). Just need to find something to contain it within during transport - + the maintenance items


Return to “Blades UK Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest