Looking to buy a Chinese sword.

bsriley

Looking to buy a Chinese sword.

Postby bsriley » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:57 pm

HI there, I am looking into buying a Chinese sword - Han dynasty sword or something similar.

I was looking on blades UK website and found a sword that I am interested in but am looking for a bit more information.

the sword is titled - Serpent Tai Chi Sword - its found under the functional Chinese swords section, its currently retailing for £89.

I would like to know what type of metal is used I know it says high carbon steel but some are numbered like the BUDO Qin Dynasty Sword that's labeled as 1095 high carbon steel.

I am not going to be using the sword in a stupid manor but I want to buy a fully functional sword that can cut well, not something that's going to break easy.

also as mentioned before the blade says its carbon steel, I have been told to buy Damascus steel and I will know that its Damascus because of the markings on the blade. what is the difference between carbon steel and Damascus steel?
and will it impact the swords performance?

Lone Wolf

Re: Looking to buy a Chinese sword.

Postby Lone Wolf » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:15 am

I've got that sword, its big, heavy with all the weight seemingly at the middle of the blade, it has some flexibility, I do not think it is a cutting sword, I only own katana and the serpant is the only Chinese sword I have but to me it doesn't feel solid enough for anything like that, maybe better off looking at a Dao.

as far as I know the only difference between demascus and carbon steel is its more decorative, if you want a big demascus sword for cutting have a look at the godfred viking sword that gets good reviews

Return to “Blades UK Forum”