Cleaning

pjm

Cleaning

Postby pjm » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:57 pm

Well i got my kill bill sword, it has grease or oil on the blade, i take it this is from it being stored, i know swords need oil on them to stop the rust, i was wondering whats the best to clean this grease off ready for a re oiling
If i didn't have bad luck i would have no luck at all

pjm

Re: Cleaning

Postby pjm » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:21 pm

ok i now know i need to get some white spirit to clean the grease of the blade before a polish and oiled

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:40 pm

You should get a tub of renaissance wax, much less sloppy than oil and it leaves a nice finish.
By the way, where's the pics? :mrgreen:
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

pjm

Postby pjm » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:You should get a tub of renaissance wax, much less sloppy than oil and it leaves a nice finish.
By the way, where's the pics? :mrgreen:

lol geordie i shall get pics uploaded tomorrow evening, i cleaned it without the need of white spirits after all, just needed a good wipe down with rice paper, all nice and clean with a light cover of oil, i will look into the renaissance wax for sure cheers for that

the only gripe which aint really a big one to be honest, the tip of the blade has a tiny ding in it like it has been i dunno the tip hit against something, not hard just enough to damage the tip slightly, the blade has some marks on it but i didnt think it would have a mirror finish on it anyway so not bothered about the marks, there from the thing being transported about the country lol, iam not really that bothered about the tip either as it aint that bad

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:39 pm

Yea, depending on the manufacturer, you'll only need a paper towel to clean the grease off, if you're pulling up a load of black gunk, I'd say dab a soft cloth with turps or vodka.
Is the damage caused by transport? Sometimes, with the cheaper hand forged swords you'll find the quality of the finish is compromised.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Loz
Blades UK

Postby Loz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:57 pm

tips of swords are very delicate things, it's quite easy for them to get a tiny ding in transport and very common, 3 strokes with a sharpening stone or a piece of finr grade sandpaper will give you a perfect tip one again.

Geordie - tiny surface scratches can be found on all mass produced blades, even the top end chen swords will have the odd scratch or mark.
http://www.Blades-UK.com for your Swords

pjm

Postby pjm » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:02 pm

yea iam pretty sure its from transporting, its just like little scuffs where the blade has rubbed in the sheath, as i said iam no that bothered about that, iam sure ill put more marks on it taking it in and out of the sheath over time

nah there wernt a lot of black, only a little from where the brass thing between the handle and blade is, which it being brass i would expect to get some black anyway

iam 99% happy with it tho, just the tine little bit of damage to the tip which to be honest is no biggie

pjm

Postby pjm » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Loz wrote:tips of swords are very delicate things, it's quite easy for them to get a tiny ding in transport and very common, 3 strokes with a sharpening stone or a piece of finr grade sandpaper will give you a perfect tip one again.

Geordie - tiny surface scratches can be found on all mass produced blades, even the top end chen swords will have the odd scratch or mark.

Hey Loz nice to meet you

yea its not a real bad ding and it wont take much to get sorted, not something iam willing to have a shot at myself, id end up ruining it lol and id pry end up dinging the tip anyway, if i do and it gets worse then ill see about sorting it out

Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:50 pm

Yeah my bronze ones bent at the top I'm not bothered rather not attack it with a hammer.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:49 pm

a womans finger nail board is the perfect tool to use the smoothest side only where the minuteste bit is bent over
a couple of gentle strokes is all thats needed to get rid of the very tiny burr at the tip
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

pjm

Postby pjm » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:32 pm

the blade master wrote:a womans finger nail board is the perfect tool to use the smoothest side only where the minuteste bit is bent over
a couple of gentle strokes is all thats needed to get rid of the very tiny burr at the tip

cheers T.B.M

i shall give that ago

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:51 pm

your wellcome
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

pjm

Postby pjm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:52 pm

well i have cleaned the demon sword with the all metal polish, its great stuff, not a mirror finish on it yet but a whole lot better than it was i can tell ya, looks great and iam sure it will shine like a mirror if i polish it once or twice more but at the mo i think ill let me finger tip heal lolol, its starting to look as shiny as the blade lolol

also found out the all metal polish works on smooth wood, glass and great on solid silver ie it dont leave scratch marks, i know silver is metal but a very soft one so not all metal cleaners are ideal to use so the fact its perfect for silver means its great stuff, please note iam not saying you should use it for anything else other than what it was intended for, i just got bored so thought id try it out lol

Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:08 pm

Me no like metal polish it contains little metal bits normally to scratch the dirt off the top, thats why people use it to buff out scrstches on cds, rather use a sonic cleaner or just give things a scrub.

pjm

Postby pjm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Me no like metal polish it contains little metal bits normally to scratch the dirt off the top, thats why people use it to buff out scrstches on cds, rather use a sonic cleaner or just give things a scrub.

to be honest nor do i normally wolf but i got talked into trying it out and iam very surprised at the results, no scratch marks or anything ill toward left on the blade at all
to use it i didnt use a cloth but my finger tip in a very very small amount at a time, it got the blade very clean and a lot more shine than there was when i got it, i also used ren wax on it after

Return to “Sword Forum”