Cane swords??

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

deathwalker

Cane swords??

Postby deathwalker » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:27 am

I've noticed there was a thread started asking for advice on where to get a cane sword, said thread was locked and a moderator stated that cane swords are illegal in the UK.

I always thought it was walking stick swords that were illegal, I may be wrong tho, but if cane swords are indeed banned then why do Blades UK have a cane sword for sale??

Adios

Gaunt

Postby Gaunt » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:38 am

a walking stick is a walking cane, so a sword cane is a walkin sword cane walk cane sword......anyways there one in the same

B-UK sells canes, but as far as i'm aware they do not sell sword canes

deathwalker

Postby deathwalker » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:57 am

O-rens sword from kill bill is actually a cane sword much like Zatoichi's which is the blade the person in question was searching for, and BUK has O-rens blade for sale.

Mucho confused

Gorilla Warfairy

Postby Gorilla Warfairy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:11 am

No, o-ren's is not a sword cane but a tsubaless katana that still looks like a sword. On the other hand Zatochi's is a sword that is disguised as a cane, and that is what makes it illegal in the uk.

deathwalker

Postby deathwalker » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:30 am

Oh, I thought it would be classed as a Shirasaya which I always thought was a sword disguised to look like a walking cane/stave that samurai used when katana's were banned in Japan.
I guess O-Rens blade is a little more obvious than Zatoichi's :D

Guess I got it wrong :S

EDIT: It would of been more helpful if the mod in question would of explained the situation and pointed the guy in the direction of O-Rens blade as a possible compromise, may of made a sale for B-UK (H)

IMan

Postby IMan » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:53 pm

A Shirasaya is not quite what you think.

A shirasaya is a storage scabbard used to protect the sword blade when not in use and when not mounted in its normal buke-zukuri or tachi fittings. The shirasaya is normally made of ho wood and may have information about the sword blade written on it (sayagaki).

A blade in Shirasaya is not battle ready, hence it is legal to own in the UK.
"I'd give an arm to be ambidextrous!"
site

deathwalker

Postby deathwalker » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:07 pm

Ahh cool, thanks for clearing that up :D
So what were the walking cane/stave swords called?

Adios

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:42 pm

IMan wrote:A blade in Shirasaya is not battle ready, hence it is legal to own in the UK.

just because something isnt battle ready, doesnt mean its legal to own. illigal items (or legal items for that matter) each go on their own merit.

swords are legal in this country, so ANY sword is legal... unless it conflicts with any other law.

a sword cane is illigal, NOT because its a sword, but because its a concealed weapon. and the shirisaya swords arnt illigal as they are just swords in plain fittings... if those fittings were to be masked (in a cane, crutch, or anything like that) it would become a concealed weapon, and illigal.
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Loz
Blades UK

Postby Loz » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:00 pm

If we're going to get really technical, sword canes are not illegal, they are just prohibited for sale/importation unless they are over 100 years of age.

a sword cane is an item that is designed to be used as a walking stick and contains a sword.

It's pretty much accepted that sword sticks are not illegal as theydon't funtion as walking sticks, the chen zaicotchi differs from this as I believe the blade is held in place with a clip, though there is every possibility this is also not covered by the law.

The Home Office can clarify what is and is not covered, the police will go to them for clarification before charging someone with a crime, for example, one of our competitors was selling edged playing cards, the police confiscated the goods under the impression they were classed as 'ninja stars', however the home office disagreed.

Funniest thing I've seen recently is people selling knuckle dusters as paperweights, idiocy. This idea has arisen from 1997 marketing of knives act which was designed to outlaw the sale of combat knives, however, the law makers were unable to come up with a description of a combat knife that could not be mistaken for other legal items so they settled by outlawing the phrase combat knife or similar. Of course retailers simply changed the name from combat knife to survival knife or similar, thereby bypassing the law.

The trouble with trying to do the same with knuckle dusters is that the description of the knuckle duster is not in question, u can sell them as lollipops if you like but you'll still end up in jail and the police will want a list of names and addresses of everyone who has purchased one so buyers beware.
http://www.Blades-UK.com for your Swords

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:41 pm

Loz is quite right of course,I have 2 Sword Sticks and have been reliably informed that it is not illegal for me to own them but I would be committing an offence if I were to offer them for sale as neither are over 100 years old,so as the Law stands they are pretty much worthless.
Maybe one of my grandchildren will be allowed to sell them in years to come,in the meanwhile,they are just gathering dust.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:15 pm

your not allowed to sell them... but that doesnt mean that you cant give it away, and (lets say) sell them yesterdays newspaper for the same amount as you'd like for the sword cane.

as for dusters... you can really make those things yourself (so im told) or import them (im informed) and theres RARELY anything even remotely troublesome about it..... (people keep saying)

theres also about 12 UK companys (ive heard) that can post these out to you.... dont know who they are, though. 8)

same with ASP's, slappers, CS spray, Bailsong knives, etc.... although all of these things are illigal, and should be kept away from.

God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

naldox

Re: Cane swords??

Postby naldox » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Is that the cane swords? my grandfather says his going to give me his cane swords.
I knew exactly where my pepper spray was — still in my duffle bag under the bed, never unpacked.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:36 pm

hi naldox
theres realy no point in answering a 7 year old dead thread as theres nobody around
to give you a answer but if you requier answers to any bladed questions call the owner
lawrence the numbers on the home page he,ll clarify any questions you have
all the best
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Loz
Blades UK

Postby Loz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:07 pm

naldox wrote:Is that the cane swords? my grandfather says his going to give me his cane swords.

You should be aware It's just as illegal to give away a sword cane as it is to sell one, the only way to legally dispose of one is to sell to a country where they are legal or literally dispose of it in a suitable trash receptacle, with that said where the item is 100 years of age + it is not covered the legislation.
http://www.Blades-UK.com for your Swords

naldox

Postby naldox » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:21 am

the blade master wrote:hi naldox
theres realy no point in answering a 7 year old dead thread as theres nobody around
to give you a answer but if you requier answers to any bladed questions call the owner
lawrence the numbers on the home page he,ll clarify any questions you have
all the best

Yeah I know but I only want see if that cane swords is like of mine because I love weapons like batons, stun guns especially this one 'pepper sprays'
I knew exactly where my pepper spray was — still in my duffle bag under the bed, never unpacked.

Return to “Advice & Questions”