need advice

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

HurrIcanE

need advice

Post by HurrIcanE » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:55 pm

ok, so im new to swords and everything and need some advice, at the moment i want a sword mainly for display.
i have been looking mainly for a sword that i think looks good and is stainless steel so i dont have to worry about constant cleaning
i dont have much money to spend, about £40
i have looked at the skull and crossbones katana on page 2 of samurai swords and the silver katana on the same page.
are these any good and are they full tang blades?
if some one could help me with this or suggest another one for around £40 that would be great

many thanks
HurrIcanE

Barry the Time Sprout

Post by Barry the Time Sprout » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:05 pm

if youre looking at SS wallhangers i woulnt worry about the tang. its likely that they will all be around the same quality so just go for whichever you prefer the look of.

HurrIcanE

Post by HurrIcanE » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:11 pm

Ok thanks :D

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:02 pm

Basically mate if yer after summat purely for display the only limit is what yer willing to spend :D

Moon

Re: need advice

Post by Moon » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:12 pm

HurrIcanE wrote:ok, so im new to swords and everything and need some advice, at the moment i want a sword mainly for display.
Welcome to the boards.
I don't want to appear as being negative but the word "mainly" concerns me a little in as much that it strikes me as implying that you may want to take it off display and thrash it about in the air and while this in itself is relatively harmless,or should be,please remember that SS wallhangers are precisely that,they're decorative items only and those of us who've been around the block a few times know only too well what can happen if and when they accidently strike another object.
Other than that,buy whatever you like the best...it's your money and it'll be your sword,just be careful with it and stay safe. ;)

kenshin the endymion

Post by kenshin the endymion » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:07 am

yeah welcome aboard, Moon put it very well and I endorse all that was said, but i will just add that we've all been beginners at something sometime and it can seem a bit daunting, but don't worry, if you want wall hangers thats great, if it gets you into reinactment thats great too, buy a reinactment sword, just make sure you leave the wallhangers on the wall ;)

HurrIcanE

Post by HurrIcanE » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:09 am

i understand moon, what i mean is i want one now and later in the year when im not so busy (GCSE's now, i am 16 and dad will buy it) i would like to train with a wooden sword first and once im confident use the sword i buy now.

HurrIcanE

Post by HurrIcanE » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:12 am

are the two i suggested wallhangers then?
if so what would you suggest i get?

kenshin the endymion

Post by kenshin the endymion » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:23 am

HurrIcanE wrote:are the two i suggested wallhangers then?
if so what would you suggest i get?
yeh they are, buts its up to you mate, want do you want it for? For admiring on a wall and showing to your mates fine, for practising/swinging no, its not ideal. Bokken is a grand idea though, getting used to the feel of a sword shaped object is very useful, often hepls to overcome the unease and awarkwardness people feel when holding a steel weopon for the first time, especially if you want to swing something.

HurrIcanE

Post by HurrIcanE » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:52 am

ok well i have been looking and due to the lack of money i have i will go for a display one for now and when i leave school and start getting paid il buy a nice functional sword to train with

BeastinLondon

Post by BeastinLondon » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:02 am

HurrIcanE wrote:i understand moon, what i mean is i want one now and later in the year when im not so busy (GCSE's now, i am 16 and dad will buy it) i would like to train with a wooden sword first and once im confident use the sword i buy now.
i'd go for getting a bokken or two now and then later on decide on a metal sword, be it a wallhanger or something more practical.

Barry the Time Sprout

Post by Barry the Time Sprout » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:29 am

HurrIcanE wrote:ok well i have been looking and due to the lack of money i have i will go for a display one for now and when i leave school and start getting paid il buy a nice functional sword to train with
a wise decision, i personally went for the samurai 3000 as my first purchace. it did everthing it said on the tin. luckily not long after i could afford the PPK and dear god ive never looked back. imo i would suggest that if your in dire need of a sword (as i were) then i would buy a SS blade sooner rather than later, however if you have the patience i would wait and get a carbon steel blade. you wont believe the quality difference until you see it.

Moon

Post by Moon » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:58 am

HurrIcanE wrote:i understand moon, what i mean is i want one now and later in the year when im not so busy (GCSE's now, i am 16 and dad will buy it) i would like to train with a wooden sword first and once im confident use the sword i buy now.
In that case,don't even think of getting a SS sword,they are not,never have been or never will be suitable for practical use in any shape,manner or form no matter how much they cost.
I like your way of thinking regarding a wooden sword or Bokken for initial training purposes...it shows that you've done some homework and you're not just another Samurai wannabe,the likes of which we've seen all too often on this Forum.
Some will say that you should consider an Iaito before progressing to a Shinken but no matter what's stated here,the decision will be yours and regardless of what others may say,there's nothing quite as inspirational as owning,maintaining and admiring a Shinken to further your goal.
Good quality SS is great for short blades like knives but for swords you've got to be thinking Carbon Steel.
Just my 2p worth and as always,open to criticism. ;)

HurrIcanE

Post by HurrIcanE » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:59 am

my plan is:
get a sword that i think looks good now for arount £40
then get a kata training package when i finish my GCSE's(middle of june)
after that i am hoping to go to the army so if all gose well i will be getting £250ish a week so money will nolonger be a problem
i will probably get a ppk and then a shinken but im not sure yet
i will get more advice when it comes to that point

moon i just think practicly i know im not going to be Samurai (would be cool though :D ) but i have always liked the swords ever since the movie "the last Samurai" i have always wanted to learn how to use one.
i know if i just go and start training with a very sharp sword i will end up killing myself (common sense really)

im also hoping to get Samurai amour at some point in the future :D
im sure i seen dragon amour on this site somewhere which looks good, hope there in stock when i have the money :D

Loz
Blades UK

Post by Loz » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:16 pm

Moon wrote:
In that case,don't even think of getting a SS sword,they are not,never have been or never will be suitable for practical use in any shape,manner or form no matter how much they cost.
;)
Very recently new mixes of tempered stainless steel are being used to create sone fantastic functional swords which are being heavily promoted by some of the larger sword making brands. I'm still too secptial to stock them at present but the few testers we've had are living up to the hype.