Real Japanese Iaito swords

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Konata_Izumi

Real Japanese Iaito swords

Post by Konata_Izumi » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:35 am

Good morning everybody! I am a newbie and this is my first post!

Having spent a few years in the UK as a student I always wanted to buy a nice katana but couldn't afford one. Now that I will be returning, I find out that they are going to ban them.. :-x

Having read most of the related threads on the subject, I have a couple of questions/suggestions..

Firstly, let me mention that I was never too happy with the Chen katanas. I want a real-authentic katana to proudly display in my living room. I always believed that the Chen katanas don't really look the part. If you 've seen some real japanese examples, you quickly realise that Chen katanas get some basic things wrong. Usually the curvature, tsuka shape & length, kissaki, and the fittings.

Since the ban will probably make them dissapear from the UK market, I searched the net for alternatives. This is when I came across japanese-made iaito swords. These are katanas that have zinc alloy blades and are used for the martial art Iaido. While you cannot cut with them, they have some major advantages...

Everything else is of the quality and style that you would find in a real nihonto. They look the part, and their fittings are of the highest quality. So for somebody that wants a katana for display reasons, it is a very atractive aspect. Because the blades are really cheap to make, these swords are fitted with the kind of fittings that you would never dream of in a Chen katana. And they are made from the same people that make the real katanas in Japan, so you get a true Japanese artifact.

There are a couple of major japanese companies that ship those swords all over the world. I will not mention them here of course. Also there are some american sites that do this, but it is quite obvious that they colaborate with these Japanese companies.

And I think this is a good solution for Blades-UK. It would be a blow if the Chen blades were to go, but I think it would be a nice idea for BUK to get in touch with these Japanese companies and start bringing those swords in the UK. They are not sharp, they are not steel, they are from Japan and made for use in a martial art popular in the UK. So I assume that the ban will not affect them. (I hope I am not assuming too much!)

And the best thing about these swords, is that they are fully customisable. You can order a katana exactly the way you want it. You have the option to choose everything. Length, fittings, hamon, etc. You can spend from $200 up to $1500 for a sword if you wish. I think that people would like such functionality in BUK. Obviously you have to wait 4-6 weeks for the sword to be made, but I think it is worth it.

What do you think of these swords? Is it something feasible for BUK to do?

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:40 pm

Youed have to ask Loz the BUK owner about wethe or not something is fesable for him to do or not I'm afraid.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:33 am

Nice idea and welcome to the forum. As BB said for a proper answer drop Loz an email at Admin2@blades-UK.com and I'm sure he'll look into it for you ;)

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:25 pm

sniff...... sniff.....

cybernex

RE:

Post by cybernex » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:13 pm

Dang, There the same Menuki's i used on a recent project. ;)