repairing the saya?

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

fatty-bolger

repairing the saya?

Post by fatty-bolger » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:10 pm

hello all,

ive got a sword, a katana to be exact but i have damaged the saya, in many places, theres a foot long line mark running down it and a huge dent out of one end, can i have some advise on how to repair it? i think its black laqered if that helps, but i know thats expensive.

thanks

cybernex

RE:

Post by cybernex » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:54 pm

Yes, it may cost you a few quid but if its a decentish shirasaya (Not Antique, If its an Antique get it professionally repaired) it'll probably be worth it.

Your gonna have to repair & relaquer the saya, You will need for the repair Super glue, Araldite, Insulating Tape, Sandpaper P120 and for the relaquer p320 (Wet & Dry) sandpaper, Japlac Primer & Undercoat and some Black Japlac.

1) Remove & store the katana (Remember to oil the blade with some chen oil thourghly before storing it away) somwhere safe and sand down the saya with the P120 sandpaper untill most of the laquer has been removed.

2) Super glue the crack and bind it up with some insulating tape and leave it for at least 3-6 days in a warm place to completly dry out (you've gotta make sure the super glue is 100% dry before resheathing your blade or else it could damage the steel).

3) Fill in the hole with the Araldite and leave it to dry.

4) when all the glue is dry lightly sand it down untill all the excess Araldite & super glue marks are gone.

5) Prime & Laquer (Follow instructions on tins).

One last note: If theres any possibility you can use Araldite instead of super glue to seal that crack than i recommend you do so.

Well thats how i'd do it anyway

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:06 pm

If you can match the sori (curve of the blade) to a Paul chen sword, then a new saya could only cost £30 and save you eons of time.

Of course if you relish the project of refurbing your saya, then go for it, its would be very rewarding i'm sure.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:32 pm

I've done rpairs to a Chen saya before mate and as long as yer paitient its an easy job but if were talking about an antique then Ied reccomend proffessionals. One little tip, if that dent s due to compression rather than a gouge being taken out of the wood then a little warm/hot water applyed to the outside of the saya and left to soak in a bit will bring the wood back to were it was but you will need to have removed the laqure first and after its soked and dryed you'll need to gve that part a rb with some fine wire wool to rmove the fine "whiskers" that will have been raised by the wet.

cybernex

RE:

Post by cybernex » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:46 pm

BB, just out of curiosity, how did you repair Hatstands Nami saya?

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:00 pm

Oh hell mate that was over a year ago, but the worst of it was damage to the paint rather than the wood itself so striping it down fixed many probs.

cybernex

Post by cybernex » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:30 am

Blackbird wrote:Oh hell mate that was over a year ago, but the worst of it was damage to the paint rather than the wood itself so striping it down fixed many probs.
So the damage was mostly superficial then.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:33 pm

Mostly yea, it just needed a little retarting up .

cybernex

RE:

Post by cybernex » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:27 pm

Well from what i heard from hatstand was all good anyway.

BTW why can Japlac be so tempromental sometimes?