PC Nami Iaito

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Ninja

PC Nami Iaito

Post by Ninja » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:37 pm

I'm looking at buying this Iaito, and I was wondering if it was possible to change the tsuba? I know it comes apart but the tsuba looks really thin and I was wondering if a thicker one wouldn't fit?

Cheers.

Moon

Post by Moon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:06 pm

Fitting a tsuba that is thicker than the original is possible but it can be a b*tch of a job if you don't know anyone who has access to engineering facilities...personally,I don't see anything wrong with the tsuba and I've never read of anyone complaining about it...yet. ;)

Hatamoto

Post by Hatamoto » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:08 pm

The sword is a fairly light one (in comparison to the PK and so on) as it's designed for a quick draw from the saya. Thus the fairly thin tsuba. As such I think a thicker tsuba would somewhat clash with the theme and feel of the sword.

I'm by no means an expert but that's my opinion, as far as an owner of the nami goes.

cybernex

Post by cybernex » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:07 pm

Hatamoto wrote:The sword is a fairly light one (in comparison to the PK and so on) as it's designed for a quick draw from the saya. Thus the fairly thin tsuba. As such I think a thicker tsuba would somewhat clash with the theme and feel of the sword.

I'm by no means an expert but that's my opinion, as far as an owner of the nami goes.
Unless you went for a (Excuse the very western phrase) Skeleton style tsuba like the Paul Chen Orchid, Plum Blossom or Bamboo Tsuba's.

Hatamoto

Post by Hatamoto » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:15 pm

Ah, fair point, that could work if you can find one that suits the rest.

cybernex

RE:

Post by cybernex » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:14 am

You'd need one with an aquatic theme or else you'd have to change most of the Koshirae to keep the balance in the theme.

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:01 pm

Hatamoto wrote:The sword is a fairly light one (in comparison to the PK and so on) as it's designed for a quick draw from the saya. Thus the fairly thin tsuba. As such I think a thicker tsuba would somewhat clash with the theme and feel of the sword.

Hatstand! Its lighter because its a practice sword for iai, with alloy blade. No other reason.

I did change the tsuba on mine for a much smaller and thicker one. The only issue i had was filing out the hole some more to get a nice fit.
I chose the smaller tsuba for a smoother draw (iai practitioners will understand why).

On the whole its a fantastic practice sword for iai, balance point is lovely.
Go get one :)

btw....hi moon, hat and guys, not been around for a while.

Hatamoto

Post by Hatamoto » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:44 pm

Ello Joe, long time no speaky, etc. And I know that's why it's lighter, tis what I said :roll:

Moon

Post by Moon » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:54 pm

Banzai Joe wrote:btw....hi moon, hat and guys, not been around for a while.
Good to see you back man. ;)
Last I heard was that you were recovering from some heavy duty 'a la dog' you got in the Sunshine State. :D

cybernex

RE:

Post by cybernex » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:42 pm

Oh Joe, Fellow hater of CEX, Hows things?

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:43 pm

ello fellas, things are ok thanx. Yeah all recovered from Florida now Moon ;)
Yep cybernex, CEX are twats, don't think that will ever change, lol.
Hatstand you sheep stroker, lol, you said the iaito was lighter for a quick draw. That aint the same as saying its for training only. :GGG

Not been on the brehtren for ages either, whats that like nowadays?

cybernex

RE:

Post by cybernex » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:09 pm

Brethren's kinda how this place used to be before the great crash and the great B-UK clan splitting in half and almost going separate ways.

Personally its kinda like this for me now: B-UK=Business, Brethren=Pleasure.

Loz
Blades UK

Post by Loz » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:54 am

the tsuba may thin out at the edges but in the centre it's as think as any other tsuba so a switch wouldn't be difficult, we used to customise these quite a bit with vasrious chen tsubas, the winter bamboo was stunning

cybernex

RE:

Post by cybernex » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:55 pm

Loz wrote:the tsuba may thin out at the edges but in the centre it's as think as any other tsuba so a switch wouldn't be difficult, we used to customise these quite a bit with vasrious chen tsubas, the winter bamboo was stunning
Seconded.

Loz is there any way you could get the 29" blade version of the nami in?

Banzai Joe

Re: RE:

Post by Banzai Joe » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:22 am

cybernex wrote:
Loz wrote:the tsuba may thin out at the edges but in the centre it's as think as any other tsuba so a switch wouldn't be difficult, we used to customise these quite a bit with vasrious chen tsubas, the winter bamboo was stunning
Seconded.

Loz is there any way you could get the 29" blade version of the nami in?
WTF???? How tall are you???