Banned imported swords and HM Customs and Revenue

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

simonatack

Banned imported swords and HM Customs and Revenue

Post by simonatack » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:37 am

For the benefit of anyone who may be unaware of a previous post, dealing In finding a true answer to a query on a point of Law that Loz made, on behalf of a lady who had her 'Samurai' sword seized by Customs after it had arrived in Britain, several days BEFORE the official date of the ban, I feel compelled to post an important bit of gen I think must be shared with everyone-especially the MAs among our members, following lengthy consultations with both a Lawyer AND an HM Customs & Revenue Advisor.

Any curved sword imported from overseas and arriving at a UK Port of Entry (airports and seaports/docks) BEFORE midnight 6th April 08 and held in a cargo holding storage facility, awaiting inspection for clearance by customs officers, is being confiscated as illegal cargo without notice REGARDLESS of however long it has been held awaiting clearance.

The position is that no package or consignment of goods imported from countries outside the UK is deemed to have arrived here until it has been officially cleared for release by the Customs office at Port of Entry but, is regarded as still in-bound in transit... So any imported sword not cleared and released into the purchaser's possession now, is assumed to be seized, over and out DOT COM!

Also I was told by the lady from HMC&R that while they are fully aware of the exemptions for licensed and insured MAs to continue purchasing such swords in the UK, they will seize any banned sword registered to a private address, be you licensed and insured MA or not. Only consignments addressed to registered UK dealers are being released for the time being as they are permitted to import these weapons for restricted sale; making them the first line of "policing" distribution of purchases!

No answer was given for officially registered Dojos or clubs on the matter of purchasing through them, so I guess she wasn't entirely sure herself! But it does seem that any MA wishing to import a sword privately and directly from an overseas source is heading for trouble, unless it is a true, all-Japanese origine, traditionally handforged weapon with all documentary authentication for it, plus conclusive proof of exemption status in entirety, or he/she has the onus of proving conclusively that this is so; NOT the surly men and women in the peaked caps who will be nabbing it, as they will likely have little or no expertise in telling the genuine from the repro OR if you are an exempted MA or not.

For UK re-enactors other than Film and Theatre companies the problems are greater still, as sabres and cutlasses etc. for these purposes are almost certainly repro!... The advice here is to only order whatever a UK dealer can legitimately supply you with, for now at least, until HMC&R are able to make any measure of private importation arrangements with you, in the foreseeable future...What may be perfectly legal to buy in other countries has to stay there, as far as anyone else is concerned!

I'm sure I'm stating what must be howlingly obvious to some, if not most of you, but after being told that there are HUNDREDS of swords already confiscated and the angry emails and outraged calls of purchasers who've been caught-out are rising with the numbers getting seized daily, I wouldn't forgive myself if anyone here, was to be among the victims for want of a bit of well intended 'Gen'... Ignorance of this or any constituted Law of this country is absolutely inadmissable as a defence, either in court or to Customs and Police officers...so be aware, eh?!
Last edited by simonatack on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

the blade master

Re: Banned imported swords and HM Customs and Revenue

Post by the blade master » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:32 am

thanks for the advice simon well appreciated mick :tumbsup:

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:39 am

Dude here's a bit of advice on posting.... use line breaks as they make your posts so much easier to read.

See what I mean :mrgreen:

simonatack

Post by simonatack » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:51 pm

OK, sorry, I'll edit them. And Thank you Mick; 'good of you to say, my friend. I wonder if there is an uncleared 'sword mountain' collectively building up in Customs holding stores? I don't even want to think of the numbers of Chens and other expensive beauties, that must be among the tin they've seized so far. Still, it's not our money that's going up the furnace flues, is it?!
Last edited by simonatack on Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:20 pm

aye its a pity they cant be liberated :D as i,d hate to think whats
going to happen to them pity they dont have fur coats and look cute :evil: b.......s the lot of them
looks like theres some good kit going in the furnace its a bloody shame. mick

simonatack

Post by simonatack » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:50 pm

Actually Mick,You may not have heard about what a certain Dutch airline did, about 10 years ago, to a consignment of 500 Chinese Squirrels they had in their "care" at Schipol airport, when no quarantine advice or the paperwork for their export for on-going transit was included. I won't reveal how they 'disposed' of that particular cargo...but their shares hit the floor when the Press was tipped-off and the Animal Rights lobby and their customers got to hear of it! So what hope of a chance is there for a heap of swords?!

fatty-bolger

Post by fatty-bolger » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:33 pm

now - I suppose the government could now claim that since the ban they have got 100's of weapons of offensive weapons off the streets - :GG

simonatack

Post by simonatack » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:44 pm

Yep! No doubt our politicians will hail this as a triumph in the war against crime. A pity they can't apply the same vigillance to illegal immigration, or the scum that commits the crimes that caused this mess...but that's another matter.

Perhaps, for the MAs here, they should contact their nearest HMC&R office after a period of a few months has passed to sort and clear the muddled backlog and then try to make their own arrangements for importing privately with the authorities, if that's their intention, then they'll see how things stand for them more clearly. There must be guidelines already in place but, if they are unable to effect them in the midst of this lot, that's another problem! Anyone getting anything through right now is very lucky.

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:34 pm

and now going off on a completley different tangent
has any one heard of chris/malvern man he seems to be conspicuos by his absence from these forums of late

simonatack

Re: where's Chris/Malvernman ???

Post by simonatack » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:23 pm

:D Maybe he's on a well earned holiday Mick. Hope that's all thats keeping him away?!

quench

Post by quench » Thu May 01, 2008 5:10 pm

for people who have got a shipment seized, it's like throwing notes on a fire. terrible state of affairs.

malvern man

Post by malvern man » Thu May 01, 2008 9:26 pm

the blade master wrote:and now going off on a completley different tangent
has any one heard of chris/malvern man he seems to be conspicuos by his absence from these forums of late
by simonatack on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:23 pm

Maybe he's on a well earned holiday Mick. Hope that's all thats keeping him away?!
I'm still around, just been a bit busy lately. Had a long weekend away in Yorkshire with the wife (wedding anniversary)
Plus the Brisca F1 Stock Car season has started so I've been travelling round the various tracks most weekends.

Just ordered a Chen Bushido Tanto.

Cheers Chris.

simonatack

Post by simonatack » Thu May 01, 2008 10:03 pm

quench wrote:for people who have got a shipment seized, it's like throwing notes on a fire. terrible state of affairs.
It's worse Quenchie, far worse than that, lad!...It's honestly throwing fine and beautifully made swords on a fire, AND good money with them, mate. :cry:

Welcome home Chris. :D Good to see you''ve been up to God's County...Sorry we couldn't give you better weather pal, He must be in a mood or something at the moment! Hope it didn't spoil it for you both; congratulations mate!

malvern man

Post by malvern man » Thu May 01, 2008 10:09 pm

Welcome home Chris. Good to see you''ve been up to God's County...Sorry we couldn't give you better weather pal, He must be in a mood or something at the moment! Hope it didn't spoil it for you both; congratulations mate!
Thanks Simon, it only rained at night, the daytimes were fine.

Cheers Chris.