history in the trunk

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

carolyn

history in the trunk

Post by carolyn » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:19 pm

HI guys will do my best all spelling mistakes must be ignored ,the first men remembered in military service is the great uncle of the brothers who died in the 1880 s at kartoom his brother my ancester was sent to save him , but he was already dead a few personal things were found and brought back ,a short dagger and a tobacco pouch or such ,the uncles son then fought around 1900 in a sussex regiment ,along with my gr gr gr grandfather the son of the first one may have been same regiment dont know ,then come the brothers and their cousin who was also in the sussex but was killed just before the somme ,my brothers with the trunk are believed to have been in the queens own regiment , things in the trunk come from all those i have mentioned and this is history as told by the family not history books so you will have to excuse rough dates . by the way good news locksmith comes friday ,any advice on taking photos of stuff that hasnt seen daylight for forty years since it been in attic would be much appreciated . carolyn

Moon

Re: history in the trunk

Post by Moon » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi Carolyn,
This is getting very interesting...I feel like it's a trunk that belongs to me and can't wait to see what's inside. :S
Simon should be able to identify a lot of the stuff...it's his field,not mine and he was with Gordon at Khartoum after all.

Take no notice of the banter between Simon and myself...it's an online love/hate relationship between us. :mrgreen:

He loves me really and I really hate him lol.

This is a pic which Simon took of Maj.Gen C.G.Gordon...

carolyn

Post by carolyn » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:55 pm

Nice pic ,did you say it was simon , he seems older somehow ,having no knowledge of war history myself ,this site is a great help to me ,and i hope i get some good pics for you all

Moon

Post by Moon » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:39 pm

carolyn wrote:Nice pic ,did you say it was simon , he seems older somehow ,having no knowledge of war history myself ,this site is a great help to me ,and i hope i get some good pics for you all
Carolyn,
The pic is of Major General Gordon taken circa 1875 and my reference to Simon being the photographer was a very poor attempt at sarcastic humour.
I'm sorry if I've confused you in any way and I'll stay on topic from now on in this thread.

simonatack

Post by simonatack » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:46 am

No, no, please, by all means keep on going Moonie... you're doing very well, my son! ;)

Hang on a minute here Madam! What do you mean you thought I was older..well really...tsk tsk!

That's clearly impossible for me to have taken a pic of dear General Gordon, of course.

I was photographing Queen Victoria at Sandringham at the time...you silly Billy! ;)

Ha! :D

Okay, back to serious
Carolyn
Just dust it all with a fine brush, if everything needs it and photo it in good daylight. Really looking forward to seeing what all this reveals!

Regards
Simon

carolyn

Post by carolyn » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:06 am

its ok mr moon i knew what you meant , lets just say if my knowledge matched my sense of humour i would be a genius, :D Hi simon , can you post some of the pics you took of queen vic ,i think i know the pub you mean :> will do like you said with the stuff in trunk ,No mr sheen huh? :roll:

simonatack

Post by simonatack » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:46 am

Goodmorning Carolyn!
No Mr sheen, or anything else; just a dust off and photo in present conditions, whatever they might be!

(Queen Vic = pub! Ha! :D )

Almost as funny as you thinking that was me in the faded pic of Gordon! Nice one Moon. You almost very nearly pulled that one off! :>

Happy Saturday!
Simon

carolyn

Post by carolyn » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:55 am

Happy saturday to you too, :D you all have such interesting profiles ,mine seems a bit lacking , But i did it anyway, now i figured out how :roll:

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:26 pm

no wonder the queen wasnt smiling when you took the photo
simon fancy dropping your kecks and saying watch the birdie
i dont think thats what they meant when they said use your flash :twisted:

simonatack

Post by simonatack » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:46 am

I know Mick. Thought it would cheer her up a bit......She was definately, not amused! :D

carolyn

Post by carolyn » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:11 am

hi guys , thought while im here i would say about stuff in the trunk that definately not swords , someone might have a general interest , there are some epilettes , dont know if that spelled right :| 2 tobacco tins 1 is empty 1 is in near mint condition complete with letter only 1 strike is missing .why i dont know ,............ Also not in the trunk but belonged to my great uncle from other side of family who was a chelsea pensioner are his suit his medals , and some sepia photographs taken by his brother some are of the sinking of the graf spay , dont know if that spelt right either :roll:

simonatack

Post by simonatack » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:44 am

Hi Carolyn
The ship is the Pocket Battleship KMS GRAF SPEE. (But you pronounce it as Graff Sh-pay =shpay!) She was a formidable German warship armed like a heavy battleship but only the size of a cruiser. She was a sea raider against British merchant ships in the South Atlantic at the start of the second world war. Her Captain was a gentleman Officer who took crews off ships as POWs before sinking them! His name was Hans Langsdorf. She was pursued and engaged by three British warships HMS. Ajax, HMS Achilles and the cruiser HMS Exeter. In what became famously known as the Battle of the River Plate, HMS Exeter was badly damaged and the two others hit. Langsdorff's ship was also damaged and the pursuit lead to the Graf Spee making for the neutral South American port of Montevideo harbour. Given 72 hrs to bury his dead, put the captured merchant crews ashore and repair vessel for departure, or face internment in international waters; Langsdorff was tricked into believing a huge British naval fleet was steaming towards his position. He had the Graf Spee sail out to the harbour entrance of the River Plate and lay her at anchor. He evacuated his crew and himself in the ship's launches back to the harbour....after he had time-fused scuttle-charges to the ships munitions lockers to blow up and scuttle the Graf Spee rather than let her be captured intact. At dawn She blew herself to a fiery death and became a legend of Naval warfare! Captain Hans Langsdorff shot himself in his hotel bedroom 3 days later.

That's your photos of her, after she was scuttled in Montevideo harbour!

I'm sure a Google search 'BATTLE OF THE RIVER PLATE' or 'PANZERSCHIFFE KMS GRAF SPEE' will tell the full story behind the ship and what happened.

NEXT?

( Gonna need to see photos honey! Sorry Carolyn, but, respectfully, you don't give very comprehensive descriptions of what you are telling us about, other than type of item. )

Simon

carolyn

Post by carolyn » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:56 am

i know im sorry , the tobacco tins i saw loads of when i was a kid think you can still get them ,but i have never seen a full one .they are gold in colour , its difficult without seeing them again . :cry: The pics i only know because they have been written on ,on the back what they are by whoever took them ,To be honest i dont think i can do this stuff justice ,simon its a big thing opening the trunk the last person to touch it was my dad and he knew what he was doing ,i obviously have no idea ,i prob do something stupid and ruin it ,we cant move the trunk so stuff will have to be brought down a bit at a time pics taken ,then put back ,Frankly im getting a bit scared of it ,guess thats why i ramble keeps my mind off friday , SORRY. :|

simonatack

Post by simonatack » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:21 am

My dear Carolyn.
Don't worry over this. It's only a big old trunk full of bits and bobs...Not Dracula's bloody coffin! :twisted:

You wont do damage, I assure you, unless you wilfully BASH it all with more force than you probably possess! They have gone through campaigns and God knows what, having been worn/used everyday and are not going to suddenly crumble into dust as soon as you open it!

It would be a great shame for posterity if these things were left locked and hidden away in an old trunk in an attic, where they probably would rot anyway. And no-one ever knew, what you ancestors did in their time! Come on girl, grasp the nettle and bring it into the 21st century!

Then, when we've all had a look and told you what's what, you can lock it all up again and have a nice cup of tea, a little wiser as to what you really have!

Regards
Simon

carolyn

Post by carolyn » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:54 am

HI simon , the trunk is open ,its all there couldnt get pics yesterday ,was to late and the light not good in attic ,but i did have a look . And picked a few bits up. LETS just say it was fun to look through it and im looking forward to taking the pics ,will have to be mon or tues now as time is my enemy this weekend and prob best if no kids about .carolyn...