How do i actually USE this thing??!

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

the blade master

Re: How do i actually USE this thing??!

Post by the blade master » Mon May 09, 2011 12:34 pm

shadowkin hi
i belive that dont happen in a samurai sword fight as a sword fight between two samurai
i.e. one on one is usually over in 2.50 seconds but ive seen pics where the spine of one katana has been cut by the cutting edge of another

now in a fight between two western knights
one will beat the others blade away with the flat side of his blade this edge on edge thing
is just hollywood hype but it would pay you to check it out first in google or some such first
mick

swayZtyle

Re: How do i actually USE this thing??!

Post by swayZtyle » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:16 pm

Despite this topic being a few months old or so, a proper reply is needed as the ones given to the original question were, quite frankly, poor.

The original poster asked for "fully sword based martial arts" regarding how to use a bokken he or she had recently purchased (and perhaps future swords) and the answers given include an Aikido video, a crazy American 'bokken training' video and the response "If you cant get to a dojo to train or get DVD`s and books"...not actually answering the question. Dear me :roll:

Now firstly I would suggest Iaido - a martial art dedicated to the drawing of the sword and practiced through kata (either by yourself or with a partner through controlled kata with bokken with supervision). It's quite a popular one in terms of sword martial arts in comparison to others noted below. More information, along with Dojo's within the UK can be found here: http://kendo.org.uk/iaido/ .

From this other martial arts can be included; Iaijutsu, Kenjutsu (including the popular Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu) and even Jodo can apply to this, as despite its focus being on the Jo, one does use a bokken for partnered practice due to its nature.