removing scuffs and scratches

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

the blade master

removing scuffs and scratches

Post by the blade master » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:30 pm

well guys
ive just had to repolish two of my katanas so asked a neighbour for some metal polish all i can say this stuff is brilliant on stainless or carbon
steel the swords had some real bad scuff,s on them and after 20 mins or so of polishing you can use a cloth or as i do the tip of my finger to polish
in a circular motion up and down the blade when the polish turns black dab a fresh bit of polish on your finger/cloth and keep going it really dose work
you end up with a real deep mirror like finish and no scuffs/scratches on your blades its called{meguiars all metal polysh} their spelling not
mine which can be bought at most branches of halfords heres there web site{www.meguiarseurope.com} click on the british flag on page one on page 2
check out the motor cycle section its there under the name of all metal polysh try it i now have two kats that look better than new.
mick

Geordie Ross

Re: removing scuffs and scratches

Post by Geordie Ross » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Nice find, T-cut works just as well in quicker time, not sure if there's side effects but it's done a treat on my mates tea culture kat, scratch was huge but not visible at all now, can't see any damage from the
T-cut either

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:22 pm

hi geordie
yes but with tcut if your not carefull and you get a bit close to the hamon you could end up ruining it
and ive found it allways tends to leave a slight bloom behind when your done and you have to use another
polish to get rid of itor maybe im just unlucky .
oh ive had a chat with lawrence he used to sell a product called metalglo which had exsellent results
on steel blades he said he,ll and get some more but as its classed as a hazadous material there may
be problems getting it into the uk you need a special licence to import to the uk unless he can source
some locally we,ll just have to wait and see

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:37 pm

Ahh I see true you need to use t-cut very carefully but I'm a mechanic and I'm used to working with it on chrome and such just gota wash it off quick and smash some polish on it but it's very quick to work

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:13 pm

aye its another idea for our things to try section when we get enought we will have some good ideas to try out
mick

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Yea lol just need hope theres no scratches to remove in the first place haha but accidents happen,
Ps do u know to to unroll slightly rolled edges?