Damaged My Katana Blade

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Reuben

Damaged My Katana Blade

Post by Reuben » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Hello all. I am a gun person so am completely new to swords. I bought a Michiko Live Blade Katana (mod edit/delete sorry no mention of other uk sword retailers allowed) It is a full tang Katana with a 28.5" blade made of 1065 High Carbon Steel. When I was at my friends house testing the cutting abilities on bamboo, we were getting about bored and decided to try and cut a standard baked beans tin can in half - retarded idea! We strung up the tin can so that the open end was facing to the right where the blade would make contact. I swung with maximum force and cut the tin can almost in half, but....... once I cleaned the blade and inspected it closely I noticed I had made nicks in the blade! The metal has gone slightly to either side and if you look from a side angle, you can see that the edge of the blade has actually gone inwards slightly if you know what I mean. Is there ANYWAY to fix this?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Please tell me every idea you can think of while I face palm until it is fixed lol :cry:

Mellony

Re: Damaged My Katana Blade

Post by Mellony » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:10 pm

This thread says it all:

http://forum.blades-uk.com/phpbb3/viewt ... na#p299967

Short answer, no

And i'm afraid that attempting to remove the jaggedness by sharpening it may just exasperate the chip + scuffing - my advice, just put it down to experience and leave it.

(and ofc, hitting 6 inches of aluminium on the edge was a bit mad - ofc you know this - but that kind of action should really be reserved for the mune - if that!)

Sorry m8

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:35 pm

Yea you can't really fix a chipped or rolled edge, but a tin of beans is considered a heavy/hard target, And you shouldn't have hit it. most maru blades will chip/roll after use, I have a few rolled edges, nothing drastic to worry about, the blades strengh is not compromised. If you want you can try to sharpen it out with a wet stone but it may do more damage than good :|

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Oh sh*t, you can only notice it up close, it's not a MASSIVE load of deep nicks, I am just worried as it will probably have reduced the cutting ability.

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:52 am

reuben hi
here,s what you can try IF YOU WISH SO ON YOUR HEAD BE IT theres a device call a
accusharp which some guys use to sharpen there swords that may be worth a try theres a video
on utube showing how its used take a look then make up your mind by the way its actually a knife sharpener
but as ive said its now used by guys to sort there swords now not to much just enough to take out the rolled edges
dont go to deep and go past the hardned edge if the nicks are only about half a millimeter deep fine take them out too
but dont go mad go the whole lengh of the blade not just the damaged area if you just do the damaged area you might
end up with a noticeable dip in the cutting edge and use gentle strokes/pressure
mick

watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgD6Ky7wlFQ

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:44 pm

Yea that's what I use the accusharp, it's ace if you fasten it down onto a work bench, it's safe to use along the entire length of the sword, not sure what effect it would have on a hamon as ive only used it on my raptor set, a small nick won't effect it's cutting ability too much

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Oh ok, I will try that out! Will it damage the geometry of the blade atall?

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:46 pm

Nope it just sharpens the edge into a crisp point, what sword have you got?

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:32 pm

Read the first post and it will tell you lol, I only ask about geometry and some sites say it can alter the geometry of the blade and some say don't use an Accusharp as it will only give you a temporary edge etc. but heh I'll try it! :GGe

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:45 pm

Well if you use a sword regularly all edges are temporary, accusharp is a lot safer than dragging it over a wet/dry stone if you don't know what your doing