Damascus Vs Normal 1060

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

liquidator96

Damascus Vs Normal 1060

Post by liquidator96 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:11 pm

I don't wish to sound ignorant, but after advice from Geordie Ross, many thanks for that:-), I am looking at buying the Damascus Egret.
I have read differing reports on the properties of Damascus steel, some positive, others negative, could someone please clarify this, also, can you use Renaissance Wax on an Damascis blade,
Thank you for your time, B-)

the blade master

Re: Damascus Vs Normal 1060

Post by the blade master » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:57 pm

hi
damascus or more correctly known these days as pattern welded steel is two or more different types of carbon steel
one is harder than the other so when the two steels are hammerd together to make the sword or knife blade the
patterns arnt very apparent so its dipped in acid which eats away the softer steel oh during manufacturing both steels are twisted together
to form the patterns but as ive said its not apparent till its dipped in acid to bring the pattern out if you want to see what the patterns look like go to the damascus knives section you will see some there oh dont worry about the negative reviews those folkes dont know any better or just dont like damascus blades ive the egrete katana(damascus version as dose geordie) and for the price its value for money for a damascus bladea good choice for a first blade
hope the explanation helps some
mick
ps
renaicence wax can be used on any steel it can also be used on leather and many more items

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:00 pm

Well, "original" Damascus steel can not be created as the forging recipie is lost in time, normally modern Damascus steel is folded and pattern welded to create beautiful patterns into the steel, and giving added strength.
1060 carbon steel is like a baseline of high carbon strong steels but it has no patterns, the difference between the two is hardly noticeable when cutting soft targets.
And as for the ren wax, it can be used on any steel, leather and even paintings to prevent rust and exposure to the air. It really is the dogs bollox of wax

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Thank you both very much, all I have to do now is patiently wait for my cash to build & I'll be going for the Egret and wax, again, thank you both for you time, it is appreciated, B-)

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:52 pm

No worries mate, bare in mind there is a few highly exclusive swords in blades uk that can't be purchased anywhere else, making them a collectors wet dream! And alot of them are under £100 ;)