New to buying medieval swords

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Geordie Ross

Re: New to buying medieval swords

Post by Geordie Ross » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:26 pm

@Geordie: Yes I have poor social skills. They're made even worse on this forum, because unsurprisingly you don't get brownie points for licking a stranger's....behind? I guess you could say you're doing it so that they would help you in the future however I'd think that they would have already originally had the intention of helping you if they did indeed help you after your compliments, maybe you emphasised it. I'm in no place to judge this, seeing how I'm not wtf? after all.
No, I will refrain from using obscene language as mick has already told me to calm down, and you already know what I think of you. As for brown nosing strangers.... You seem to find subliminal text between my lines? We share interests in motor mechanics, and he shows clear and well documented talent in graphic models of "things" I like, such as knifes motor mechanics and football stadiums. Don't confuse my admiration for anything other than what it is.
I appologise if you feel left out in this convo but to be frank, you seem to have nothing to add of relevance or mutual interest and as I said you do seem very anti social.

EDIT: as for training, ive been an amateur boxer for 11 years and trained kendo for 2, so, my advice is to keep your entire body trained for any martial art, your kinetic force is maximised when all muscles are used in a fluid motion

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:56 pm

@wtf?: I'm starting to doubt whether it is truly possible to create a model for a thrusting blade such as the rapier. Although with weapons that are focussed on raw strikes (as in axes etc) it may be possible to accurately calculate distributed force, I can't see how you would be able to account for factors involved with rapiers such as if a rapier hit a metal plate, it would most probably slide along it not just stay in the exact same place. Similarly, for any weapon the material within the weapon as well as that of the user will distribute the force.
It IS possible to do such a thing, although seeing as with any real analysis its such a complex thing, it would take time to do and you wouldnt be able to do it, while those able wouldnt do it for free unless they had a good reason too. As for the points about factors involved... Thats why a study using kinematics would be needed. The physics used for such a thing is relatively simple, its the application thats harder. And while you cant see how you could account for such factors, they CAN be accounted for... Hence earlier when I said about knowing that theres things you dont know.

But I assure you that its possible.
Basically I've realised that there are a variety of factors (some of which you have stated) that seem to make FEA tests for weapons useless, or at the very least, a very large estimate, although they may be more accurate for 'bashing' weapons.
Sorry... But your realisation is wrong. lol

This is the folly of stuff like this... Youve been ignorant to its existance and have maybe a day of being exposed to it, yet despite its mass complexaty you write it off as next to useless simply because you dont understand it.
I think I see what you mean about the understanding now, thanks for the explanation, I experienced exactly what you described when I decided to learn how to use 3DS Max.
I don't know whether this is applicable in engineering but maybe you should try telling people to go to wikipedia instead of bothering to lie. It works for me and they usually become too confused to continue by the 2nd section.

I just thought it was slightly illogical that he was being nice in a place where (I think?) nobody actually knows anyone else, personally, unless they're mods.
Its not lying so much as its not the whole truth. Its like trying to explain math to people that havent ever seen a number. Maybe its an idea to skip around pythagoras.

And I do especially like the things about not being nice to anyone... Its a very "interesting" way of looking at things.
On another note, do you guys train using your weapons? If so, do you follow a fitness program? I wanted to buy a medieval sword soon (until I saw the prices for a decent one) so I had been training upper body for a few weeks, but do you think it is more useful to train quads due to the need for hip movement to provide force?
The penny doth drop... Youre one of THOSE people. Search for self teaching if you wish that clarified.
Aye, Funny you mention MotoGP, when reading that explanation even fine tuning minor specs to adapt engine noise ect I thought F1. I do love my racing but what your doing is 10 tiers above simple motor mechanics, I assume you have a rather privileged back ground to afford the uni fees or are you neck deep in optimistic debt?
As it goes, I just did a bike mech course a while back, that gave me enough ucas points to do the foundation course and thats it. As for the cost, its all student loans which i dont pay back until i work. depite all this testicles people sprout about the cost of uni, it doesnt and wouldnt cost me a thing until ai graduated and then only if i earn 21k a year. its all student loans.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:09 am

Lol I do actually believe in the current uni funding process and think its a "better deal" as the clegger would say, BUT if you are to get a lesser pay bracket (25-30ka) you are screwed, and with current employment opportunities, you are fairly limited as the majority of engineering work goes as employers tend to prefer the recently laid off in oppose to the recently qualified. I hope thats not too pessimistic or discouraging lol

Mukilab

Post by Mukilab » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:22 am

Geordie Ross wrote:No, I will refrain from using obscene language as mick has already told me to calm down, and you already know what I think of you. As for brown nosing strangers.... You seem to find subliminal text between my lines? We share interests in motor mechanics, and he shows clear and well documented talent in graphic models of "things" I like, such as knifes motor mechanics and football stadiums. Don't confuse my admiration for anything other than what it is.
I appologise if you feel left out in this convo but to be frank, you seem to have nothing to add of relevance or mutual interest and as I said you do seem very anti social.

EDIT: as for training, ive been an amateur boxer for 11 years and trained kendo for 2, so, my advice is to keep your entire body trained for any martial art, your kinetic force is maximised when all muscles are used in a fluid motion
I agree that I have nothing to add of relevance to his expertise in engineering, yet as you stated, neither do you. This leaves me slightly confused.
Otherwise thanks for the advice. I've done 2 years of fencing however I quit as the group I practiced with wasn't serious about anything and I ended up being one of two or three people that went to tournaments.

@wtf? : I didn't mean that it was impossible, perhaps I phrased it incorrectly, what's impossible is to measure the speed of a subatomic particle along with its exact distance, what I meant is that there are such a myriad of factors to consider that I didn't think it would be feasible in terms of time to try to take a shot at it. So do you think an indepth analysis of every factor and a computation in how it would result in the overall force distribution be achievable within a year?

What I said was yes, based on my current knowledge of FEA, which extends all of several hours, hence asking you to correct me. I wasn't trying to make an audacious statement, just a guess that would lead onto something.

I didn't mean be horrible to everyone D:

I don't know what one of 'those' people is. But if you want to know who I am here it is:
Edit: Forgot to mention that I am 5 foot 10
82kg Male of 18 years of age
Polish descent born in England
IQ tested by Mensa to be in the 98th percentile (this isn't a boast, I am summarising who I am).
Engrossed within physics whilst similarly loving literature
I have little to no stamina yet in terms of strength I have been training and so far I can do a maximum of 7 pullups or 45 pushups.
Thought to be arrogant, narcissistic, weird, isolated and annoying
Hoping to study theoretical physics at University to lead onto banking so that I'll be able to support a family.

How does that fit your profile? Would you mind telling me what you had in mind and how who I am fits your judgement, it would be interesting to see.

Thanks for the advice but I asked for tips on what I should improve, not where I should go to learn techniques, as I currently don't have a sword to practice with.

@Geordie: Yet the current University payment scheme has been tailored to help out those with low incomes by raising the wage at which you will have to start paying off your fees and if you are unable to find a suitable wage paying job after a certain amount of years, all student debt is cancelled.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:41 am

I agree that I have nothing to add of relevance to his expertise in engineering, yet as you stated, neither do you. This leaves me slightly confused.
you seem to have misread yet again? Engineering and ICT are vastly different....
I fear you have mistaken physical attributes with a personality, again you are bizarrely far from the point.
As for what you should improve, how about every weakness you have? This is clear and obvious advice and I hope you have no problem with its interpretation, as to what factors will improve swordsmanship, all martial defence is footwork and parry, and most offence is speed an accuracy, things that push and pull ups won't teach.
Ps. Your confusion is a recurring factor to your debate.......

Mukilab

Post by Mukilab » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:10 am

Geordie Ross wrote:
you seem to have misread yet again? Engineering and ICT are vastly different....
I fear you have mistaken physical attributes with a personality, again you are bizarrely far from the point.
As for what you should improve, how about every weakness you have? This is clear and obvious advice and I hope you have no problem with its interpretation, as to what factors will improve swordsmanship, all martial defence is footwork and parry, and most offence is speed an accuracy, things that push and pull ups won't teach.
Ps. You confusion is a recurring factor to your debate.......
I was talking about when you said were incapable of doing what wtf? was doing, hence being just as blighted as I am.

I see your point about footwork, then again Bruce Lee was in the opinion that physical attributes were not honed enough and technique was focussed on far too much, and I'd like to take a note out of his book.
As to every weakness, that's just silly. Not every muscle is used in martial arts, hence not every muscle needs to be improved.

As I've stated, I unfortunately do not have a weapon yet so I cannot practice speed or accuracy or parrying. I'm not looking for push ups and pullups to teach me anything, I just hope they will give me an edge against another average enthusiast.

Yes, my confusion is recurring whilst you seem to have a similar problem without admitting it, including repeating things that I have addressed previously showing you don't even bother to read my posts thoroughly.

What do you mean that I have misinterpreted physical attributes with attitude? I was just commenting on the fact that wtf? had formed an opinion of me on the basis that I do basic forms of exercise.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:20 am

I see your point about footwork, then again Bruce Lee was in the opinion that physical attributes were not honed enough and technique was focussed on far too much, and I'd like to take a note out of his book.
As to every weakness, that's just silly. Not every muscle is used in martial arts, hence not every muscle needs to be improved.
you clearly have taken one opinion and judged it as the best? No? so why does the simple law of fluid dynamics say that fluid kinetic work is far greater than the the work of a single force. For example, DIY example, sit on you bottom with your legs out strait and your back to the wall and punch an object, then try the same with the punch starting from your toes and ending in your fingers, as I said, your arrogance is limitless As you assume everyone but you is confused. And what you listed prior where things you can do or physical definitive descriptives, and when combined with your previous posts shows your true colours.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:30 pm

Also don't ask for advice then pick problems with it, if you think you know best, do what you want

Mellony

Post by Mellony » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:39 pm

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:47 pm

Mukilab
Sigh... Were done here.

Blades UK forum... Attracting the lowest common denominator since... God knows when.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Lol?? Is that quote empty? :dunno:

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:38 pm

No, im just quoting the boy... His entirity, his total being, his quantum singularity of pin headed existance.

Its listening to dribble, then opening your mouth to expel a torrent of abuse, only to think... Hang on a minute... Why bother? You cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter... But sometimes, even thats more trouble than its worth.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:52 pm

Roflmao!!!!!! :mrgreen:

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:05 pm

nice one wraith lols

Mellony

Post by Mellony » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:50 pm

wtf? wrote:You cant polish a turd
Whilst i agree with the sentiment and your reason for quoting this proverb, i'd just like to add that you can polish a turd: Mythbusters ftw :D