Help me choose a Katana

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Lone Wolf

Help me choose a Katana

Post by Lone Wolf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:43 pm

Hello I'm a noob.

Anyway I've all ways wanted a proper Katana, I've had those really cheap 3 piece sets before and I have a cheap ninja sword, but I've finally decided to bite the bullet and pay for one that I can be proud of and enjoy looking at forever. As I'm sure you can tell I don't practice martial arts it's purely for looks and quality.

I'm liking the looks of the Paul Chen Tsunami, Professional Orchid and Practical Plus Katanas.

Can someone please tell me which one looks the nicest in real life?

Thanks

Geordie Ross

Re: Help me choose a Katana

Post by Geordie Ross » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:53 pm

It's dependant on your price range really, out of the 3 you mentioned the orchid katana is by a landslide the best, but by two landslides the most expensive! It's a fairly petite sword (small and slender) but its very good looking! Also in a higher price range the Bushido is one to note, it's folded steel like the orchid and creates stunning patterns in the steel. But for one i can vouch for, as i own it and it's a super bargain at £325 and is better looking (in my opinion) is the tori XL katana it's reduced as its fairly rusted though, so be warned. And if money is truely no limit go for the kami. I've dribbled over videos of that. But for a very nice affordable piece the practical plus is the one for you. Beautiful balance and grip with a genuine hamon (wavey line on edge) the fittings are very decorative for its price.

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:40 pm

I'm not a fan of brown, not sure if there is a price limit, I keep thinking it's dumb to spend £600+ but then I think it's even more dumb to buy something I'm not truly happy with, as I said I've had those cheap 3 sets before that look alright from a distance but are rubbish up close and I've got a cheap ninja one, (sold at blades as blackend ninja) I like that one a lot but it's not really decorative.

The Practical looks a lot like Ogami Itto's Dotanuki simple and elegant thats why I like it, I'm a girl so I'm liking the sound of the Orchids lady like proportions tho.

Oh so hard to choose, I shall have a good think about it and check my bank account, Thanks for the input.

Loz
Blades UK

Post by Loz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:53 pm

buy a practical or a practical plus - the difference in quality between those and an orchid is so small you won't see it as a novice.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:03 pm

There you go. Sound advice strait from the horses mouth ;)

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:41 am

Thanks, I will :mrgreen:

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 am

May I ask about the Blackened Ninja sword you mentioned, I like the look of that one myself & if it has a true high carbon blade, £50 is a steal.
I am also looking at getting a Chen Practical towards the end of the year with any luck, they are great value for what you get.
On another subject, I only have Shogun Assassin, a favourite of mine since seeing it just before it was banned, have you seen any of the 'real' Lone Wolf & Cub / Babycart movies & are they good?
Last, but not least, welcome to the forum,
best wishes, Martin.
:D

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:41 am

hi martin
if your after a blackend ninja sword one id recommend is the full tang ninja sword mod 3630
one of the reasons being it has a proper blued steel blade (as in guns rifles etc and dose look the better for it)
not the painted type?? where the finish is baked on the handel aint half bad either one of my early pieces is of a similar
type with a blued blade looked pretty good too
mick

ps its in the ninja section page two

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Cheers Mick, I just had a quick look & it does look good, I was only looking at the other one as it is listed as 'high carbon steel', Martin.

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:25 pm

thing is if its just for show dose it matter if its stainless

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:03 pm

Fair point & the Mrs is looking to buy Geordie Ross's big axe, and that is stainless, so the full tang is now in the game, Martin.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:48 pm

Ah yes speaking of that, il take some pics and review it for you in another post lol it slipped my mind

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Hello again (yes I must use the internet more often).

I'd just like to say I got the Practical Plus Katana yesterday and very nice it is too, love it, Thank you. but I have yet another question, should I get a proper cleaning kit for it to keep it in top condition?.

My Blackened Ninja is not great BTW, I hate the handle, cheap plastic with crappy nylon looks rather bad IMO, but then I got it on Ebay for cheap, if anyone cares I all so have a Final Fantasy Gunblade replica and the Onimusha 3 sword of the Oni, but I mostly have smaller things.

Shogun Assassin isn't part of the baby cart series, there was 6 films that went up to around book number 11 (I think could be 8), then there was a TV series that covered more of the books (I don't think it actually covered the lot tho). Shogun Assassin was a new film made by the Americans, they just cut bits from the 6 true baby cart films and glued them into something new and rather disjointed, but still good in it's own right.

You can buy a boxset of all the films, I recommend them but you really need to read the books.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Lone-W ... 095&sr=1-1

The TV series was never shown outside japan, it's very difficult to find the fansubs for it, I haven't got all of it, the books are very expensive as they have been out of print for some years, some you can get for a couple of quid but things like Battles Eve (No.27) are over £30, but you can find them all on the net, people scanned them and stuck em on turrent sites.

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:14 pm

Many thanks, I have never seen the original films, but I hope to get them at some point, I have the graphic novel set in PDF, cheers for the info, all the best, Martin. :D

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:14 pm

The original film is seriously good! Must see