Is this sword legal in the uk?

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Moon

Re: Is this sword legal in the uk?

Post by Moon » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:16 pm

IZZ0 wrote:........Ah right, and just how would you go about proving it?
With great difficulty, just because the US seller states that it's hand made won't mean a damn thing to Customs and don't forget about the Shipping, Duty, VAT and handling charge which can raise the mark up price up by 30% or more...assuming that you do actually get it.
The onus is upon you to prove the katana was made using the traditional method, not for them to disprove it...it really isn't worth the risk of having your sword destroyed and kissing your money goodbye when there are so many available on this site.

jamesb0551

Post by jamesb0551 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:18 pm

IZZ0 wrote:
jamesb0551 wrote:
Yes but customs will demand that you prove it, and do you want that hassle?
Ah right, and just how would you go about proving it?
it would prove very difficult unless it was a paul chen piece etc

They could even take you to court over it if they were being sh*tty.

as a renactor i know plenty of people that have got completely legit things stuck in customs for months and they were easy to prove to be legal.

so the moral is AVOID!

IZZ0

Post by IZZ0 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:36 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Aye it's very hard to prove a non branded sword is handforged using traditional methods
Its a Musashi if that helps :P

IZZ0

Post by IZZ0 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:46 pm

jamesb0551 wrote:
jamesb0551 wrote:
Yes but customs will demand that you prove it, and do you want that hassle?
Ah right, and just how would you go about proving it?
it would prove very difficult unless it was a paul chen piece etc

They could even take you to court over it if they were being sh*tty.

as a renactor i know plenty of people that have got completely legit things stuck in customs for months and they were easy to prove to be legal.

so the moral is AVOID![/quote]
Moon wrote: With great difficulty, just because the US seller states that it's hand made won't mean a damn thing to Customs and don't forget about the Shipping, Duty, VAT and handling charge which can raise the mark up price up by 30% or more...assuming that you do actually get it.
The onus is upon you to prove the katana was made using the traditional method, not for them to disprove it...it really isn't worth the risk of having your sword destroyed and kissing your money goodbye when there are so many available on this site.
Cheers guys, you've cleared it up, and I think im probably going to buy from this site, whats the best low budget katana or sword?

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:03 pm

Depends on you price bracket mate, I think the egret ninja sword would usually be recommended for £99 but i can't find it on the website, also it depends on what you use it for, such as display or martial use, or a collection piece of which there are plenty for aprox £70

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:19 pm

As I mentioned previously, I have the Huang ninja & my wife has the Blue Tiger ninja, both have reviews by me on this site and are straight bladed, if your looking for a curved blade, than I would look at the Handforged Samurai sword or the Autum Bamboo katana, both look good to me, good luck with whatever you choose, all the best, Martin. :D

IZZ0

Post by IZZ0 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:32 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Depends on you price bracket mate, I think the egret ninja sword would usually be recommended for £99 but i can't find it on the website, also it depends on what you use it for, such as display or martial use, or a collection piece of which there are plenty for aprox £70
Thanks, on this website, in hand-forged samurai swords, are they all full tang, or is the full tang ones only the ones that mention it in their description?

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:46 pm

I think they are all full tang but you may need to ask loz. do you want a functional sword?

IZZ0

Post by IZZ0 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:31 am

Geordie Ross wrote:I think they are all full tang but you may need to ask loz. do you want a functional sword?
yeah i do

jamesb0551

Post by jamesb0551 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:40 am

If you want functional then get a Chen sword they're all tip notch and the katana start at £100 I think.

You've made the right choice I heard of one bloke who not thinking imported a solid resin imitation grenade, wasn't illegal wasn't dangerous any more than a corky ball but someone saw it at customs who couldnt tell the difference between resin and steal and the bloke was raided by armed police at 3am.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:55 am

If its function you want then I have to say one of the Paul Chen raptor swords, super strong steel great grip and really nice decorations but they are £195 (well worth it) if that's too pricey I'd say take a dip at any of the handforged section, they are mostly similar blades in carbon content and shape, but the decoration is much better than the lower end Paul Chen swords ;)