Does anyone know what this is?

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Lone Wolf

Does anyone know what this is?

Post by Lone Wolf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Boyfriend found this and brought it home to me.

Anyone got any ideas what this is, it's Birmingham hallmark looks silver but the makers mark is side ways normally a sign of platinum, it's very warn and hard to read, is that a button hooker on it? I'm not sure. :S

Lone Wolf

Re: Does anyone know what this is?

Post by Lone Wolf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:11 pm

image isn't loading on the forum for me, so in case it isn't just me here

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/60 ... 021pa.jpg/

Moon

Post by Moon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:08 pm

That is a button hook and platinum hallmarks are different to silver, try googling them. ;)

Apparently, it was only in 1975 that platinum had to be hallmarked by law in the UK so I think it's fairly safe to say that the handle of your knife is silver.

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Not so, before hallmarks where created for it they simply put the Assay office mark on sideways to indicate it was Platinum rather then silver or gold, so you would be able to tell it's side ways by looking at the other marks because they should all face the same way, not so the makers mark, which is where I was xxxxxxx up cos I thought that was the date letter, they started making things in Platinum in this country in the mid 1700's assayed in Birmingham and London.

It's very, very warn, I've managed to identify whats left of the lion mark on the other side so it is silver, sterling silver, assayed in Birmingham sometime in the 1800's, makers name is something ". B" date is O or Q, maybe even g so......somewhere around 1860 - 1888 with that Birmingham mark.

Still want to know who the maker is what is left of the mark looks like a sideways shield with . B in it or could be the edge of a "&" rather then a dot. I think it was probably only two letters inside something this shape <=> originally.

Moon

Post by Moon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:05 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Not so, before hallmarks where created for it they simply put the Assay office mark on sideways to indicate it was Platinum rather then silver or gold, so you would be able to tell it's side ways by looking at the other marks because they should all face the same way, not so the makers mark, which is where I was xxxxxxx up cos I thought that was the date letter, they started making things in Platinum in this country in the mid 1700's assayed in Birmingham and London.
I didn't state that platinum wasn't hallmarked prior to 1975, just that it only became law in that year and the hallmarks were/are different to gold and silver.
There are 2 examples of the anchor being horizontal on early silver here...
http://www.assayofficeuk.com/esh/

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Right here we go again, I have another knife this ones a bit scrappy the keyring(?) chain is broken and part of a rivet is missing on one side. folding knife Navaja or something like that?.

Doing a search online I found this book cover which feartures a knife all most identical (the blade on mine has a round hole in it but the handle looks pretty much the same) Does anyone know what age it might be, there is nothing written on it. :|

Moon

Post by Moon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:55 pm

Navaja are still being produced today so without any ID marks it's anybody's guess I suppose. :S

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:21 pm

Hmm thought as much, I was just hopeful of another antique after getting hold of that Silver 1860-80 pen knife. Still free things are all ways nice. (found it outside the main door at the studio flats I used to live in, just found it while tidying as it needed cleaning up before it can join the rest).

Am I just lucky?,or is it a result of living in West London?, I've found 3 knives (didn't touch the Tiger lock knife in the bushes round the railway line but it still counts) in my time.

Boyfriends found two the silver pen knife and a very large Swiss Army knife while in Scouts, has a fork, magnifying glass the whole lot....his dad took it off him ans give it to his older brother :evil:

Moon

Post by Moon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:14 pm

You handed them in to the Police when you first found them and they weren't claimed - right? :>

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:52 pm

:> to that.

The 1880 one was left at a pawn shop anyway, they wouldn't take it and the owner just left it along with the other things they wouldn't take.

The Spanish one I am sure belonged to my former landlord, as it was outside the front door with a broken key chain, it's karma that I have it now, serves him right for repeatedly nicking my washing up bowl when he was re-painting, ruining my bath sponge using it to mop up tile grout and leaving me without heating/hot water for not one but two Christmases. :-x

Moon

Post by Moon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:36 am

Lone Wolf wrote::> to that.

The 1880 one was left at a pawn shop anyway, they wouldn't take it and the owner just left it along with the other things they wouldn't take.

The Spanish one I am sure belonged to my former landlord, as it was outside the front door with a broken key chain, it's karma that I have it now, serves him right for repeatedly nicking my washing up bowl when he was re-painting, ruining my bath sponge using it to mop up tile grout and leaving me without heating/hot water for not one but two Christmases. :-x
I was just kidding Ms Wolf. ;)
None of my daughters have a landlord but if they did and were treated like you and any of my grandkids, I can think of at least one place he'd have rather that I hadn't have left it. :twisted: