European collection starter suggestions?

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Geordie Ross

Re: European collection starter suggestions?

Post by Geordie Ross » Sun May 27, 2012 1:50 am

That's how we (English/Europe) used to make swords, pattern welding and folding was the very best way to make a sword before modern metallurgy and mass production ect

Balian

Post by Balian » Sun May 27, 2012 10:12 pm

I think you will find the william marshall sword, the real one, was french.

jamesb0551

Post by jamesb0551 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:13 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:That's how we (English/Europe) used to make swords, pattern welding and folding was the very best way to make a sword before modern metallurgy and mass production ect
:stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: show me a European Damascus sword from the 1200's then Geordie.......

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Mon May 28, 2012 4:29 pm

From Wikipedia
By the 2nd and 3rd century AD, the Celts were commonly using pattern welding for decoration in addition to structural reasons. Alternating layers of steel would be forged into rods, which would then be twisted to form complex patterns when forged into a blade. By the 6th and 7th centuries, pattern welding had reached a level where thin layers of patterned steel were being overlayed onto a soft iron core, indicating that the pattern welding was primarily visual rather than functional.

jamesb0551

Post by jamesb0551 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:30 pm

Still awaiting a photo of a european Damascus war sword :twisted:

Balian

Post by Balian » Mon May 28, 2012 6:35 pm

If anyone is interested, Damascus blades were made by forging obviously but to cool the blade the red hot steel was plunged into body, usually a slave (middle eastern method) this caused a weird chemical reaction, the result a very durable blade with odd patterns. In europe it was less of a worry for the slave because smiths used oxen or cows to cool the blade.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Mon May 28, 2012 6:36 pm

You of all people should know that steel was recycled time and time again back then, it's value was second to gold ;)

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Mon May 28, 2012 6:37 pm

Balian wrote:If anyone is interested, Damascus blades were made by forging obviously but to cool the blade the red hot steel was plunged into body, usually a slave (middle eastern method) this caused a weird chemical reaction, the result a very durable blade with odd patterns. In europe it was less of a worry for the slave because smiths used oxen or cows to cool the blade.
Wtf? No they didn't they had invented water back then, I've heard Karl pilkington speak more sense

Moon

Post by Moon » Mon May 28, 2012 8:10 pm

Balian wrote:I think you will find the william marshall sword, the real one, was french.
I think you will find that the French, the real ones, were/are European. ;)
Balian wrote:If anyone is interested, Damascus blades were made by forging obviously but to cool the blade the red hot steel was plunged into body, usually a slave (middle eastern method) this caused a weird chemical reaction, the result a very durable blade with odd patterns. In europe it was less of a worry for the slave because smiths used oxen or cows to cool the blade.
Where did you read that load of old cobblers? the pattern in real Damascus or any other steel had nothing to do with the cooling process. :S

Balian

Post by Balian » Mon May 28, 2012 8:54 pm

Moon you need to calm yourself, what I put was simply something I read, a theory, no one knows the true technique of how damascene blades were forged, its a lost art. Modern science has reproduced it which is plain to see. As for the wiliam marshall comment, he was knighted in france in 1167 and its likely he was also armed at the same time, hence a french sword.

There is no point in ranting on at me for inaccuracies because I frankly don't care.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Mon May 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Well to be fair, don't post inaccuracies in a factual manner, hearsay isn't eligible ;)

Balian

Post by Balian » Tue May 29, 2012 9:36 am

I dont disagree with what you or moon have said Geordie, its just the manner in which replies are generally written (not just this one). When I joined this forum, I was hoping to find opinions, debate and like minded folks interested in historical weaponry, instead its like a facebook clone. The forum rules (point 14) dont seem to mean anything here and far too many replies have nothing to do with the post...bit like this one really ;) So that said happy collecting folks, I'm off to new pastures :D

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Tue May 29, 2012 10:16 am

Yea it's a forum, 99.999% of posts end in banter, light hearted of course, adios

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Tue May 29, 2012 10:34 am

bye

Moon

Post by Moon » Tue May 29, 2012 11:12 am

No matter which 'pastures new' that he chooses, posting ridiculous statements as fact will always invite ridicule. :roll: