The police took my mates katana

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

wtf?

Re: The police took my mates katana

Post by wtf? » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:41 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:(1)The price of 10-20 glass front cases is simply unmanageable, the space they would take up is also a serious restriction.

(2)It's "responsible" to wear a condom, and moderate drinking, but few people abide by these responsibilities.
(1)... Thats no-ones issue but yours... You did, I assume, accumulate these weapons freely and without force applied to you. Thats like saying you cant possibly put all this petrol in a safe container, cus you brought too much... No-one forced you and its your reponsibility to make sure you have proper provisions.

The cost of storing 20 blades is not unimagineable... In fact, based on B and Q's current prices, you could house 8 swords for around £90 (in a nice profecional grade redwood) plus the lock of your choice. Another £15 gets you the stain/paint of your choice... Lets assume you cant put it together yourself... Your looking at double that for a carpenter to do it, and you'd have a lovely finish... So £210 delivered (ish). For the price of one mid range sword, you could house 8 in an exotic wood case, maybe some nice purpleheart? Or a bit of cocobolo? with locks, custom engraved display plaques in brass and accent lighting... So I genuinely dont know what you're talking about.

(2) Few people DO abide by these responsibilities, you're correct... And we call those people irresponsible. Just because stupidity is widespread that doesnt make it less stupid. Same with sword ownership... If you arent a responsible owner, then... Well... You arent. You can say "but freddy/johny/lucy isnt either... " but thats the same arguement my 9 year old daughter uses. lol... "But Daddy, Imogen is throwing stones as well..."

Being AS responsible as someone who is not... Does not make you responsible. Which is socially acceptable, granted. But not correct, reasonable or to be applauded.
oh wraith I call it an armoury for a good reason its a secure room only I have access to as I only have one on display in the sitting room at any one time
Simply put... Good for you. Theres no need to have 20 swords on display unless youre a musium. lol. Locking up the majority in a room seems perfectly reasonable to me. I would also personally also only display blades in a cabinet, but thats me and at least youve made a effort to mitigate the problem, such as it is.
Quick update. Turns out the sword in question wasn't on show but tucked away nicely in the wardrobe as his GF didn't want the sword on display in her house as her kids could easily get hold of it. I'm guessing when they arrived she must have said he has a sword in the wardrobe which prompted the search. I've asked her to contact the police as they refused to give it back to him, and ask them to return it to her house where he can collect it in his own time. Silly slag said no as she thinks all swords are illegal to own?? You just cant educate some people.
That will be it then... It was taken reasonably. Sad, but forseeable, really.

conner

Post by conner » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:53 pm

I am in the wtf camp on this all I can add is as ex army guns swords knives do not kill people
people kill people and as a licenced gun owner any body who drives around with a loaded uzi in there car should be locked up and the key throw away

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:12 pm

I agree it would be irresponsible to leave them laying around with children in the house, as it would to leave toilet cleaner and medication in arms reach, but I don't have children.

conner

Post by conner » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:08 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:I agree it would be irresponsible to leave them laying around with children in the house, as it would to leave toilet cleaner and medication in arms reach, but I don't have children.
If you had children you would take all the precautions that was needed
and that is all I am saying as a responsible owner (guns swords or knives ) you do your best to make sure thy do not end up in the wrong hands

pjm

Post by pjm » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:59 am

a number of years ago i had about 28 swords in my collection, each one was on display, got no kids etc, hell even the local plod when i had them in the house said nothing about them,

got three sisters, they decided to have kids and when they grew old enough to move about i got rid of every single last one of my swords

had nothing to do with laws or being told to, common sense

now they are grown up, let the sword collection making commence lol

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Gotta admit I'm on edge everytime my cousin brings her little fella round as he's into everything and I just know one day he's gonna try and grab a sword. Hoping I can train him not to :9874

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Or... And I'm just throwing this out there...... You could cut his arms off... :GGG

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Larnz wrote:Quick update. Turns out the sword in question wasn't on show but tucked away nicely in the wardrobe as his GF didn't want the sword on display in her house as her kids could easily get hold of it. I'm guessing when they arrived she must have said he has a sword in the wardrobe which prompted the search. I've asked her to contact the police as they refused to give it back to him, and ask them to return it to her house where he can collect it in his own time. Silly slag said no as she thinks all swords are illegal to own?? You just cant educate some people.
Hows having it in a wardrobe keeping it away from the kids, on top of one yes but in one? Unless its got a lock on it of course.

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:07 pm

My son is 3 and he knows better, he knows to stay off my stuff and has shown no interest in my swords, they are all tight in the saya anyway, unfortunately its the stuff in the kitchen thats more of an issue he keeps trying to grab scissors and knives because he sees people use them on tv and he's tall enough to open the cupboard locks now.

Chop chop chop he goes pretending he's cooking like katie or wants the scissors to be mr maker.

No him messing with a sword is the last thing I'm worried about he keeps messing with plugs and socket switches too only a matterof time before he figures out how to remove the socket covers.

Moon

Post by Moon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:31 pm

wtf? wrote:That will be it then... It was taken reasonably. Sad, but forseeable, really.
Yup, lawful seizure, bye-bye blade. :|
Only one sword on display at Chez Moon, well out of the reach of tiny fingers in a spare bedroom which is now my man cave and it would be the last thing that I'd go for if an armed intruder managed to get past the dog, not to mention Mrs Moon...I swear that woman can turn a man into stone with her war face on. :D

so that is two of us moon 1 on display the rest locked up in the man cave eh and how do women turn men into
with that certain look is it somthing there born with or passed on from mother to daughter :S

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:16 pm

I'm still struggling to see how it was a lawful seizure. It was hidden away outta sight and if the silly bint hadn't mentioned it to the plod then they would have known nothing about it. Its not like he was swinging it around or anything, in fact when plod arrived he was upstairs calmly packing his bags and was surprised to see them.

This worries me as there's always trouble round this area. Thankfully I've managed to avoid most of it over the years but I'm now very concerned that if plod did get sent round my house for anything then I'd be completely cleaned out :|

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:55 pm

bint now theres a name i aint seen used since the 50s :D

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:13 pm

I too am concerned we are allways shouting in this house (the miserable bastard) it normally starts with me telling him not to swear and him answering with I'll swear as much as I f*cking like etc.

I'm not going round the school when they start moaning I know, next year when he's 4 he's gonna be swearing at all the other kids.

So I'm worried now that when the people next door move out some busybody will move in, the walls here are paper thin and he's allways threatening to hit him at the top of his lungs as well which worries me (not him hitting him) but people hearing all this and making calls.

pjm

Post by pjm » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:12 am

Lone Wolf wrote:I too am concerned we are allways shouting in this house (the miserable bastard) it normally starts with me telling him not to swear and him answering with I'll swear as much as I f*cking like etc.

I'm not going round the school when they start moaning I know, next year when he's 4 he's gonna be swearing at all the other kids.

So I'm worried now that when the people next door move out some busybody will move in, the walls here are paper thin and he's allways threatening to hit him at the top of his lungs as well which worries me (not him hitting him) but people hearing all this and making calls.
Huh

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:38 pm

Maybe I didn't explain that right, boyfriend is always swearing infront of our 3 year old son, I keep shouting at him not too he refuses and we end up shouting about it for ages, he also shouts very loudly about slapping our son, if you don't put that down do this etc I'll hit you etc.

So I do worry some busy body will phone up the police over that and they might nick my stuff.