first purchase, advice needed

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

ar80365

first purchase, advice needed

Postby ar80365 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:23 am

Hi, i have been scouring this site for 2 weeks now after deciding this is the place i want to buy my first katana.

I have my eye on 3 types (sorry I dont know how to link the pics) they are

1. the ppk
2. deluxe folded katana purple (or folded 9230)
3. folded dragon

I plan to use the sword mostly as the start of my collection and for display purposes, maybe rare light cutting sessions.
I read that the price on Paul Chen products has risen recently possibly due to a fire where they're made i think, so im left wondering, does the current price represent value compared to the others i mentioned and is it possible the price could possibly go down in the near future? i ask as its the most recommended of the lot but considerably more expensive.

The other katana's i mentioned are great looking also but i have found less info on them and obviously the hanwei name is well known.

My question is this- Does the ppk represent value for money at 236 pounds in comparison to the others mentioned which are between 130-140 mark with the 9230 at 89. Which one would you choose also??

Any feedback will be much appreciated as i hope to order my first katana very soon. Thanks in advance.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Re: first purchase, advice needed

Postby Big Lazy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:02 pm

You cant go wrong with the PPK for your first real sword
Pimp or die baby!

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:03 pm

In my opinion the Koto Folded Katana's are outstanding value for money I one this one;

http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=3995

And my Wife owns this one;

http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=4011

There very well made, look stunning & if your only doing a little light backyard cutting, they should be fine.
With money being in short supply these days, I would highly recommend the Folded Katana's. :D

ar80365

Postby ar80365 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:51 pm

Hi and thanks for your replies.

I was under the impression the folded katanas could stand up pretty well to heavy cutting, although i wont be using it for this.
Its nice to know it could if needed.

Im very tempted by the one you own Liquidator, i just keep going bk and forth as i like the practical plus wasikashi too and dont see any other wasikashis on this site to go with a folded katana. The deluxe katana is very nice and probably the first 1 that caught my eye but after doing some reading, i didnt want to buy it only to be told i should have bought a ppk.

i was hoping to get a few peoples views as the threads ive read always suggest the ppk but are from 2010 or thereabouts so probs outdated views, i dont mind spending the extra money if its the right choice.

Only problem is at the min i dont know my own mind lol.

ar80365

Postby ar80365 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:31 pm

message for thr moderator.
when you gonna put my post up, i dont understandd why its taking 2 days at a time.

Loz
Blades UK

Postby Loz » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:40 pm

ar80365 wrote:message for thr moderator.
when you gonna put my post up, i dont understandd why its taking 2 days at a time.

First 5 posts require approval due to a spate of spammers, posts are checked and approved as often as we have a few minutes to check pending, get to 5 and they'll show right away

And every hand forged sword we sell will stand up to heavy duty use, harder targets require more skill, folding doesn't make a modern sword stronger, ppk is a great choice for a high quality sword, it's no stronger than any of the others we sell
http://www.Blades-UK.com for your Swords

ar80365

Postby ar80365 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:40 pm

Hi thanks for your imput Loz, ill be making a decision and placing a order this evening. Ill resolve any other queries then.

ar80365

Postby ar80365 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Ive gone with the ppk. Coming Tuesday cant wait.

Edit: the missus kicked my arse over the price had to change to a deluxe folded haha.

vjanda

Postby vjanda » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:53 pm

Can someone please tell me how the following 2 Koto katanas compare in cutting ability:
Folded Dragon (21) and Folded (9203).

Does Koto make anything that matches the PPK or Dojo Pro in terms of cutting quality?

Thanks

Mellony

Postby Mellony » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi Vjanda

My apologies if you're already aware of this, but the "cutting ability" of the PPK as compared to these other mid range functional swords is rather inconsequential when it comes to the proportion of "ability" atoned to the sword vs the ability of the wielder (you).

The success of a cut is more to do with technique (or lack off as is often the case) rather than the sword, and loosing sleep over a sword being marginally better than another is a little null unless your a serious well practiced professional - i.e. only a serious pro will notice / make use /implement the marginal differences in ability between these pieces.

My advice is to go for whichever you find the most comfortable (in terms of aesthetics, fittings & materials - each buyer is going to have their own priorities) rather than putting too much onus in the "ability" of each peace.

Hope that makes sense & good luck with whatever you decide :)

Regards

Mello.
Semper cogitatio.

Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:52 pm

Ppk as has been said many time on 3 threads now, that or just buy what ever you like as all the ones you keep saying are fine, they work, they all look nice and aren't going to fall apart.

Return to “Advice & Questions”