Best value for money functional katanas available in the UK

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Moon

Re: Best value for money functional katanas available in the

Postby Moon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:47 pm

vjanda wrote: I'm missing a katana in the arse.

Ain't that the truth. :>
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

vjanda

Postby vjanda » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Moon wrote:

What is this, secondary school f*cking humor?
Your whit as sharp as a your mama's beard (or a schrade survival knife for all you would be blade experts). :mrgreen:

Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:36 pm

I've been collecting swords and knives for over 20 years (dear god I feel old after saying that) I have never used my swords on anything or any of my good knives, they are for admiring and cleaning occasionally which I find very zen like.

it makes me feel sad to see the second hand swords on blades uk (which are hard to get now) accompanied by words like light rust and minor damage, to me a good sword is a work of art.

just go with a machete I think you'd be in less danger of hurting yourself katanas are not for taking swings at logs and things, if you want to cut logs buy an axe, I'm not trying to sound condescending or anything its just that they are not toys, they are not brutal bruiser weapons for hacking at stuff, no matter how much money you spend on one if you go around doing what you are saying you want to do with one you will be in danger of smashing the thing and hurting yourself.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:28 pm

Moon wrote:

nice one j :twisted:
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

vjanda

Postby vjanda » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:04 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:I've been collecting swords and knives for over 20 years (dear god I feel old after saying that) I have never used my swords on anything or any of my good knives, they are for admiring and cleaning occasionally which I find very zen like.

it makes me feel sad to see the second hand swords on blades uk (which are hard to get now) accompanied by words like light rust and minor damage, to me a good sword is a work of art.

just go with a machete I think you'd be in less danger of hurting yourself katanas are not for taking swings at logs and things, if you want to cut logs buy an axe, I'm not trying to sound condescending or anything its just that they are not toys, they are not brutal bruiser weapons for hacking at stuff, no matter how much money you spend on one if you go around doing what you are saying you want to do with one you will be in danger of smashing the thing and hurting yourself.

I've got about five years less that you as a collector. I also sell blades and straight razors and run a sharpening service as a hobby. I tend to use my knives and axes a lot as I hunt quite a bit and spend a lot of time in the wild. I know how dangerous a machete or axe can be if used improperly and the same goes for katanas. All of the blades in my collection are hair popping sharp and well treated. I don't want a cumbersome heavyweight katana like one of cold steels offering as I'm not into cutting pigs in half but at the same time I don't want something that will bend if struck improperly. I've seen it happen to a high end koto a friend had and it was very disappointing. I think my budget of 300 quid will get me a decent quality katana.

Loz
Blades UK

Postby Loz » Thu May 01, 2014 12:39 am

All 3 of those swords are bulldosers, I think there'd be very little between them, all fairly forgiving of poor technique but by no means indestructible.

That said there's nothing wrong with any of the swords we sell, they're all capable, I mean, you'd need to be doing something seriously wrong or taking on a target well outside your experience level in order to damage any of them. We've sold these to martial artists and dojos with regular repeat custom and feedback for 15 years +, 0 reported failures, 0 warranty replacements, plenty of great reviews,
http://www.Blades-UK.com for your Swords

Balian

Postby Balian » Thu May 01, 2014 7:40 pm

Can't believe I waded through this tedious post to finally get a decent answer from Loz.

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri May 02, 2014 1:15 pm

vjanda wrote:
What is this, secondary school f*****g humor?

You started it mate. :D
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Return to “Advice & Questions”