Importing a hussar sabre

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Joghurt

Importing a hussar sabre

Postby Joghurt » Sat May 03, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi everyone!
I am looking for some advice, and was told this is the best place to get it.
I want to start my sword collection. I'd like the first sword to be a very specific XVII cent. Polish winged hussar sabre - something I wanted since I was a kid.
(it is very similar to the English light cavalry 1796 sabre)
It is just for display purposes, so I'd be happy with an unsharpened replica.. Unfortunately since then I learned they are banned under the 2008 act :S

I do want it quite bad, and i read that the 'handforged' clause is the only way around it. I have found a smith in Poland who uses only the traditional XVII techniques(same materials, forging, shape), and is willing to make me a blade.

Unfortunately I am a little clueless on how to get it here, and what would I need to provide for it to be all 'legal'. How do I prove it is handmade? How should I go around it coming in and not getting destroyed? I am sure the smith does not have any certification as he is a low volume producer.

Also what kind of taxes would I need to pay?
Last edited by Joghurt on Sun May 04, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Re: Importing a hussar sabre

Postby Big Lazy » Sun May 04, 2014 12:33 am

If he's willing to post it to ya with no description label or face value you'll 'possibly' be ok, but I wouldn't wanna risk it.
Pimp or die baby!

Joghurt

Re: Importing a hussar sabre

Postby Joghurt » Sun May 04, 2014 10:57 am

Itd rather not take chances..
The way I see it, the sword definitely falls into the handforged clause. Id just like to know what it takes to prove it so it can go through as smooth as possible?

Return to “Advice & Questions”