1st Time Buyer need help and advise

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

xJUSTINx1994

1st Time Buyer need help and advise

Postby xJUSTINx1994 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:39 pm

1st Time Buyer looking to buy a katana the:
» Handforged Storm Katana «

39.5" Overall with a 27.5 sharpened, hand forged, high carbon steel blade. Genuine Same handle wrap and top quality cotton ito. White lacquer finish wooden saya with brass inserts. Solid Brass Habaki, Double pegged, full tang, complete with cloth storage sleeve, cloth covered wooden box and maint. kit

Price: £69.00
Sale Price - Was £84
Like the white look thinking of practising Iaido would like to no if the blade is strong wont be cutting any thing harder than straw but would like to no i could if i needed to with out the blade braking on me mite collect more swords if all goes well is this a good sword for a 1st time buyer any help and advise would be appreciated.

Mellony

Re: 1st Time Buyer need help and advise

Postby Mellony » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:53 pm

A bokken, Daito or Iaito would be far more practical if you are serious about taking up Iaido, self-taught or otherwise!

If however your claim to learn Iaido is a little null & you just want to start chopping stuff up in your back garden (tameshigiri) - then this sword will more than suffice :)

PS: I should add that most Iaito are made from modern lighweight (zinc?) alloys & not made in the traditional sense so would require a club membership to purchase (If you are serious about taking up Iaido that is) - a bokken / daito however is open to anyone & have the added bonus of not accidentally chopping things off!
Semper cogitatio.

xJUSTINx1994

Re: 1st Time Buyer need help and advise

Postby xJUSTINx1994 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:41 pm

Thank you for your fast feed back i do plan on practising (self teaching in the back garden) not just cutting things up and it would be very basic moves from videos move on up to more complex moves when i get familiar with handling the sword the reason i am not getting a wooden sword because the real thing is just to beautiful if i lose interest i can all ways have it as a display sword i was that guy that learnt him self how to ride a bike with no stabilisers i no it is very different but still there has to be some people that have learnt with a live blade by them self and if not and i do hurt myself you can all ways use me as a what not to do.

Return to “Advice & Questions”