Newbie maintenance questions

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Downer

Newbie maintenance questions

Postby Downer » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:23 pm

Hello, I have the John Barnett Roman Spatha sword made of EN45 spring steel. I'd like some advice on how to sharpen it and which oil to use to maintain it. The stabbing tip has been slightly bent over and I would like to correct that, is that possible?

I also have a stainless LOTR anduril sword which won't be used but I'd like to keep it looking nice as it's a great looking sword. I read that a window cleaner is enough to keep it nice?

I have a lobster tail pot helmet aswell which unfortunately has a few small spots of rust, how can I remove those and keep it looking good long term?

Thanks, Lee.

Lone Wolf

Re: Newbie maintenance questions

Postby Lone Wolf » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:39 pm

I don't know about sharpening or banging the bend out of it but as far as oil goes get some sword oil or renaissance wax, but any oil is better then none, 3 in1 jobs from diy shops to even baby oil if you're desperate, but not food oils like olive or sunflower.

Oh and try scrubbing the rust off with a toothbrush if that doesn't work buy a rust eraser or try a fine wire brush or wool if you don't mind a few scratches, then oil or wax the hell out of it or that patch will rust over again.

Downer

Postby Downer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:41 pm

Thanks for your replies, I bought some bits on ebay including a silicone carbide stone, some singer sewing machine oil and some metal polish, I think the brand is autobar it's intended for cars.

I don't want to use wire wool on the helmet, some one on another forum said aluminium foil dipped in vinegar will fetch rust off, any thoughts on that?

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:30 pm

The metal polish I think your using is Autosol?
I've used it myself & a tip from a fellow member that I follow is to use small amounts on a small area, rub the polish in until it turns thick & black, then buff to a nice shine.
I also use Renaissance Wax on my blades & finish with some Kitchen Craft Honing Oil, for a little extra shine. :D

Return to “Advice & Questions”