Cold steel or paul chen

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Belikewater

Post by Belikewater » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:45 pm

Thnx for the more info i didnt notice it before my last reply. CS is starting to sound more like a type of sword id be best suited to. Whats the saya like bowman is it comfortable etc.

Siddhartha Gautama

Post by Siddhartha Gautama » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:48 pm

Ok the way i see it.....

Warrior - comes in late march
PPK - comes in early march

Warrior is £240
PPK is £220

Yet all feed back says both are just as good as each other! therefore go for the cheaper.......... which equals more for you money! Plus PPK comes in earlier so u can get it sooner!........ lol :-D

I'm a PPK owner and LOOOOOOVE it :wink: That's my only advice here.

Logan

Post by Logan » Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:34 pm

Tregha wrote:not a blood groove, its a Bo Hi or a fuller.

Its not to let the blood out when in a target its to make the sword stiffer, and lighten the blade. or the used it to remove metal on surface of the blade that had a defect in it.
From Blades-UK description:

'1050 carbon steel blade with stunning fuller (blood groove)'

I just quoted :-P

Tregha

Post by Tregha » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:26 pm

Well its wrong then :-P

Belikewater

Post by Belikewater » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:37 pm

Has anyone got any more photos of the CS warrior series katana or more information about it I cant actually see the tsuba very well? Is 'through' tempering good and does CS have a good rep for tempering their blades. Sorry if im becoming annoying I really am looking for the strongest of the two and best for martial art use. 8)

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:47 pm

The only person that I can think of who has pics of the CS Warrior is darksun_uk, one of the regs on this forum. If I remember correctly he has them on his own website, look under his profile for the link.

Hope you don't mind darksun, thought you might like a shameless plug for your website :cool:

Belikewater

Post by Belikewater » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:56 pm

Thanx yojimbo (zanmato's over to his site)

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:58 pm

Red Blade wrote:Thanx yojimbo (zanmato's over to his site)

Can't really take the credit, is darksun's site afterall but your welcome. If memory serves, you should find some side by side pics of the PC PPK and the CS Warrior.

Belikewater

Post by Belikewater » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:15 pm

Just took a look the tsuba on the CS was much nicer than i thought it was :-D and the blade is huge in comparison to the PC does this make much difference does it make it more likely to get damaged? Btw with a maint kit can you polish up the CS blade? btw thanx again yojimbo the site helped.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:33 pm

Glad I could be of some help, the CS Warrior is a big sword but what you have to remember is all that weight is going to be in the blade, it also has a shorter Tsuka(handle) than the PC PPK so it will feel more blade heavy and be a lot harder to recover after a cut. The blade won't be any more likely to break than the PC blade, less likely I would have thought due to the sheer size of it.

The CS is heavily discounted on this site, it tends to retail for much more on other sites and is in my opinion, more compareable to the Wind and Thunder for cutting abbility than the PC PPK. That is however based only on my observations of the swords and not, I am affraid, on practical experiance as I have not held a CS Warrior.

As for polishing the blade, I think there was a post about metal polish not long back on one of the forums, do a quick search and see what you can find.

Just my humble two pennies worth ;)

Bowman

Post by Bowman » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:25 pm

Overall i thought both Saya were similar, bot comfortable when i was holding them and walking about the house. The main diff i noticed was that the ppk was quite loose in the saya so i personally liked the cs better as the collar fit more snugly in the saya. Some people i guess prefer the sword to be loose for a quick draw i just found it annoying that i had to make sure the sword wasnt falling out of the saya when i was taking it off the wall.

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:37 pm

Yojimbo wrote: Hope you don't mind darksun, thought you might like a shameless plug for your website :cool:
i dont mind at all the main reason i put the site up was to share infomation 8)

as far as the question concerning the ppk or the cs it just comes down to personal choice if you can overlook the fact that the cold steel sword does not have a hamon line and has a nice finish to the blade but no traditional polish then get that one.

some more info/comments on the swords in question:-

cold steel sword has (imho) a much nicer scabbard

the cold steel as had been said has a heavy wider profile blade and
overall if you are not comfortable with heavier blades then dont get it

in my humble opinion the fittings on the cold steel are superb and the better of the 2 swords, the fittings on the ppk are very good its just that due to the discounted price of the cold steel the extra work shows clearly

i would just like to finish by saying that which ever sword you get (of these 2) you will not be dissapointed i bought both of them because in the end i just could not choose between them :-D (and before you ask i dont have a favorite i like them just as much as each other because of there differences)

hope this was of some help

kind regards

darksun_uk

Belikewater

Post by Belikewater » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:42 am

Thanx for the advice darksun very helpful. Im a type of person who goes more for function more than looks and example a sweet might look nice but may taste horrible. If i knew i could use a 40oz sword as well as the ppk then id get it but im unsure. How does it feel when using the CS darksun? Is it possible to get used to the weight oh and seeing as though you have both 8) which to you think is the better cutter.

sum

Post by sum » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:41 pm

hi, this is my first time posting, i am in sort of the same position as red blade, i am deciding between the CS & PPK, i am not too concerned about which cuts better, so im basically trying to decide which looks better & has better quality/feel to it, mainly concerning the blade & the handle, so far im thinking the ppk looks better but i found this picture of the CS which really looks beautiful here:

is this really how it looks its seems slightly different to the one on this site - the blade seems more shinny & the wrap seems less furry. Can anyone help me on which is better looks/feeling wise? thanks

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:53 pm

Cold Steel make two different grades of Katana, Imperial and Warrior.

The sword in the picture is from the Imperial line which features a highly polished blade and better quality fittings, it also costs a lot more than the Warrior.

The Warrior, which is sold on this site is built down to a lower price. Same blade and fittings equal in apperance to the Imperial sword, just minus the polish and price.

There may be further minor differances between the two but they are just that, minor.