All About the PK (Paul Chen Practical Katana)

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

excypher

All About the PK (Paul Chen Practical Katana)

Postby excypher » Sun May 16, 2004 3:24 pm

now as it seems enough questions are asked about this particular sword, id thought id take a little time to outline its features

This is a fully functionall Full Tang Tempered carbon steel sword

it is desighned for everyday use by the martial artist and will survive a serious beating (under safe and controlled conditions of course)

ways to care for this blade:

rember that it has been in storage for months beforehand, so if you recieve it days before you are allowed to open it (or someone checks it for you) as long as the grease on the blade is not disturbed (fingerprints or wiped off) then it will survive weeks withought needing to be re-oiled

because this is a carbon steel sword it is vunerable to rust, and so must be oiled regularly. regularly being, after every cutting session (clean off all exisitng marks blemishes and oil and apply a fresh layer) and at least once a month if left in storage otherwise you risk getting rust or irreversable marks on the blade if these marks appear you can use a low abrasive meatal polish to try and remove the stains, or lessen them (i dont know many myself but im sure certain forum members do, could those that do recommend some in this thread please)

This sword will come sharp, as sharp as it needs to be, it probably wont cut you if you put pressure on the blade edge with your finger, but run your finger down the blade and slice. so please be very carefull, and handle it like a dangerous weapon (which it is) at all times (point away from ppl. blah blah im not gonna give a safety lecture)

This sword is not dismantlelable, you CANNOT take it apart to replace tsuka etc, as the parts are expoxied together for strength.

thats about all i can think of right now, could anyone reading this thread who has seen a mistake by me or something to add please do not hesitate to say so.

kungfuninja

Postby kungfuninja » Sun May 16, 2004 3:36 pm

rember that it has been in storage for months beforehand, so if you recieve it days before you are allowed to open it (or someone checks it for you) as long as the grease on the blade is not disturbed (fingerprints or wiped off) then it will survive weeks withought needing to be re-oiled

thanx mate :-D

Great idea by the way, I can't wait to recieve mine! :-D

excypher

Postby excypher » Sun May 16, 2004 3:49 pm

ive heard nothing but good things about this one, ill be getting one at some point or another, but i just never have the money spare

kungfuninja

Postby kungfuninja » Sun May 16, 2004 3:58 pm

I was gonna get something for £50-70 but I thougt what the hell! :twisted:

Anyway you can be sure to hear a review and see some pictures from me when I get it for my bday! :-D

The thing is I am already thinking what to buy next, maybe a banshee :twisted:

excypher

Postby excypher » Sun May 16, 2004 4:44 pm

after just actually reading your post, b-uk offer a free returns policy, but i think its to repeat customers. but if it is geniuinely damaged im sure loz will replace it for you (just take a picture and itl be fine i expect)

kungfuninja

Postby kungfuninja » Sun May 16, 2004 4:51 pm

Thanks, if anybody knows for certain it would be appreciated! :???:

Martial_Monk

Postby Martial_Monk » Sun May 16, 2004 5:17 pm

kungfuninja wrote:I found this article, quote:

Do Blades-uk have a system like this? If my PK isn't sharp or of lesser quality can I swap it for another?

Cheers!

:roll:

Mongolianfriend

Every PK and other PC swords unique?

Postby Mongolianfriend » Sun May 16, 2004 8:19 pm

After reading Musashi's book I had the crazy idea of having a go at weilding two swords. I purchaced a second PK from the For Sale Forum, as I thought it would be easier practicing with identical swords.
To my suprize I discovered one to be 2oz heavier, 1mm thicker all round with slightly more curve. It handled noticably different from the other.
This is not negative criticizm of the PK .It confirms to me that these realy are hand forged blades making each one unique.
The PK is a faultless bargain.
PS Warning to wannabe Musashi's- I've given up on the two sword thing. Too hard and damn right dangerous!I'd best learn how to use one first!
Fight the Good Fight with all Thy Might

Master Dragoon

Postby Master Dragoon » Sun May 16, 2004 8:59 pm

kungfuninja wrote:Thanks, if anybody knows for certain it would be appreciated! :???:

If the sword is genuinely faulty

sharpness is an odd issue as what sharp is to one person isnt to another around 99% of PKs are basicaly the same sharpness in effect (blood drawingly<that a word lol, sharp)

should the sword be genuinly faulty please take not of the fault and email either sales@blades-uk.com or general@blades-uk.com

low abrasive meatal polish to try and remove the stains, or lessen them (i dont know many myself but im sure certain forum members do, could those that do recommend some in this thread please)

best ive found is autosol works fine imo
turns black after a while and takes a good few cleans to get all off but makes it nice and sparkly new thereafter
I am cold and alone with nothing for comfort but a blood stained sword laying in my grasp... How did i get here?

Jaques

Postby Jaques » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:58 pm

Does the fake rayskin feel good? Or does it feel plasticy?

Adurul

Postby Adurul » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:58 am

Jaques wrote:Does the fake rayskin feel good? Or does it feel plasticy?

Its underneath a suede wrap........does it matter as long as it looks real?
"Simple as i can, i'll tell you, the difference, between a pencil and a pen"

tomo_san

Postby tomo_san » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:09 am

Like ardrul said its under the ito. your not goning to feel the rayskin really, cept with your fingertips maybe. :cool:
Parting clouds, seeking the way.
Gichin funakoshi.

Mi nogaro shin-ise

HatchA

Postby HatchA » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:31 am

kungfuninja wrote:Just one more thing :???:

Has anyone actually had any problems with this sword? :wink:

only problem (and it's not really a problem, to speak of...) is that the kissaki, the tip of the blade from the yokote to the point, isn't particular sharp. I think it's just as a result of the working polish. Over all, I'm delighted with mine :-D

Great to hear from Mongolianfriend that two swords are not identical :-D that answers a question of mine on a different thread regarding replacement saya.

One more thing... does anyone elses have a slight flat spot on the edge leading up the blade from the ha-machi for about an inch and a half? only a slight dulling of the edge, really. nothing to cry about :cool: been there since day one.

tomo_san

Postby tomo_san » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:36 am

The dull area of the Hi-machi is prolly kust where hanwei missed a bit on sharpening its prolly not a standard thing on PK`s just you got a bit unlucky 8)
Parting clouds, seeking the way.

Gichin funakoshi.

Mi nogaro shin-ise

Jaques

Postby Jaques » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:32 am

tomo_san wrote:

Like ardrul said its under the ito. your not goning to feel the rayskin really, cept with your fingertips maybe. :cool:

Yeh, that's still feeling it. I'm not especially worried but I'd like to know.

Return to “Advice & Questions”