All About the PK (Paul Chen Practical Katana)

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Temple

Postby Temple » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:49 pm

I just got my PK today, it was also my first sword!

I must say that its the bees knees. The quality is alot better than I was expecting from such a cheap sword. I've read that alot of pepole have thought that it was heavier then they were expecting, I on the other hand thought it was quite light. This might be because the only other katana I've ever handled was a proper £4000 one, a good few years ago now though. But my god it's was gorgeous and it was about 3kg.

I was also very impressed with the packing. The little foam inserts that held it in place were unexpected and formed excellent protection. I will definately keep the box so I have something safe and leagal to transport it in

It's also very very sharp.

The only question I have is that I am thinking of replacing the ito with the proper stuff from Japan (16 feet works out to be about £40). I know you can't take the tsuka off but I was wondering if the cap at the base (I cant remember the proper name) is glued in as well. If so how hard would it be to get off.

All in all a great buy!

Hope you can help.
Thank God I'm an atheist.

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:11 pm

I think its all epoxyed in place mate soz.
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

Kal-el

Postby Kal-el » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:00 pm

Dose anyone have a picture of a Box this sword comes in? i dont know why i want to see it i just do!

thanks
Kal-el

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:51 am

It just comes in a plain browm cardboard box with plenty of tape around it.
Blade with whom I have lived

Blade with whom I shall die

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

Temple

here you go

Postby Temple » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:53 am

Here are 2 photo's of the box:

And one if the foam inserts:

The box is 45" long, 3" deep & 5" wide. It is also very well taped up when you receive it.
Thank God I'm an atheist.

Satsujinken

Postby Satsujinken » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 pm

What´s the lenght of the tsuka in PK? I´ve used of using >30 cm tsukas, and when I tried one with 23 cm, it just did not work :?
わたしの剣は擦人剣!わたしの剣じゅつは擦人じゅつ!
My sword is a killing sword! My sword technique is a killing technique!

Jaques

Re: Every PK and other PC swords unique?

Postby Jaques » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:52 pm

Mongolianfriend wrote:After reading Musashi's book I had the crazy idea of having a go at weilding two swords. I purchaced a second PK from the For Sale Forum, as I thought it would be easier practicing with identical swords.
To my suprize I discovered one to be 2oz heavier, 1mm thicker all round with slightly more curve. It handled noticably different from the other.
This is not negative criticizm of the PK .It confirms to me that these realy are hand forged blades making each one unique.
The PK is a faultless bargain.
PS Warning to wannabe Musashi's- I've given up on the two sword thing. Too hard and damn right dangerous!I'd best learn how to use one first!

Even musashi used those odd things called wooden swords :?:

Nylkyri

Postby Nylkyri » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:25 pm

Why is the PK epoxed shut? Is the tang somehow different or does Paul Chen just want to rip us off by making a seperate more expensive model that can be disassembled?

just like firmware crippling in digital cameras

Kamui

Postby Kamui » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:26 pm

The PK is epoxied to give it more strength when cutting etc. and you will notice that its mainly the fittings on the PPK that make it more expensive rather than the fact you can take it apart
Banzai Joe wrote:Thats weird. Stared down at my penis at it looked like a trombone!!!! :|

Hatamoto wrote:Shoulda made the Titanic out of biscuits. At least things would have stayed level, more people could have gotten out :p

Nylkyri

Postby Nylkyri » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:33 pm

so... P+K brakes more easily than PK?

spasm

Postby spasm » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:30 pm

I haven’t seen the PK so I can’t comment on it or its strength, as for the PPK this is one strong sword well put together I bought it for the sole reason that it can be dismantled everything is so well fitting it is hard to dismantle.

Have no fear the PPK is strong enough. :>

Spasm

Master Dragoon

Postby Master Dragoon » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:33 pm

Kamui wrote:The PK is epoxied to give it more strength when cutting etc. and you will notice that its mainly the fittings on the PPK that make it more expensive rather than the fact you can take it apart

Its epoxed together to make it cheaper to produce so they dont need to use more expensive fittings etc as stated to hold the whole thing together........

the PPK is traditionaly made and can be fully dismaountable

the PK is a no frills no fuss workhorse

its the blade thats strong not the glue.....
I am cold and alone with nothing for comfort but a blood stained sword laying in my grasp... How did i get here?

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:07 pm

Master Dragoon wrote:
the PK is a no frills no fuss workhorse

sorry... workhorse? ive never heard of the PK being sold as that. has it been endorced by hanwei for full dojo use?

im genuinely interested to know who's said that, and who its been endorsed by.

Nylkyri

Postby Nylkyri » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:29 pm

yes.. about hanwei...

whats the difference between just a "paul chen practical katana" and a "C.A.S Iberia Hanwei Practical katana"? are they the same thing?

Gorilla Warfairy

Postby Gorilla Warfairy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:33 pm

hanwei/Paul chen are the same thing basically (PC is the head swordsmith, hanwei the forge/department name i believe)

CAS are the parent company. :D

Return to “Advice & Questions”