PPK VS Fantasy Katana???

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Irish_Blade

PPK VS Fantasy Katana???

Post by Irish_Blade » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:36 am

Hi, Total noob here with a first post :-? . A few days ago i recived my Traditional look samurai sword in the post which i thought was the business untill my little brother decided it looked sharp enough to have a crack at a tree in my back garden!! Not surprisingly, with it not being a functional sword or having a full tang, it has become loose and the tsuba even more so. I decided in the few days before this that i really liked the look of the sword and would be getting at least one more. I was just wondering about the quality of the Paul Chen Fantasy Katana. As far as i see, its pretty new so i was wondering if anybody has one or could anybody let me know how it measures up to the PPK in quality. Is the PPK worth the extra few lids??
Nice one in advance!

The Witchfinder General

Re: PPK VS Fantasy Katana???

Post by The Witchfinder General » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:47 am

Irish_Blade wrote:Hi, Total noob here with a first post :-? . A few days ago i recived my Traditional look samurai sword in the post which i thought was the business untill my little brother decided it looked sharp enough to have a crack at a tree in my back garden!! Not surprisingly, with it not being a functional sword or having a full tang, it has become loose and the tsuba even more so. I decided in the few days before this that i really liked the look of the sword and would be getting at least one more. I was just wondering about the quality of the Paul Chen Fantasy Katana. As far as i see, its pretty new so i was wondering if anybody has one or could anybody let me know how it measures up to the PPK in quality. Is the PPK worth the extra few lids??
Nice one in advance!
OK. Welcome to the boards.

Regarding the topic, I'll confine myself to saying this:

The PPK is most definitely worth the extra cash, and you don't want to get a PFK unless you are above average height, as the tsuka is longer than normal and therefore harder to draw and wield to good effect. Also, I wouldn't buy a PFK, because at the moment, you won't get one for a few months as there is a chronically large waiting list.

Logan

Post by Logan » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:23 am

Welcome to the forum :cool:

As Musashi says, make your wallet stretch that bit further and get the PPK. However, if you're not interested in being able to fully customise your katana, save yourself some dosh and get the PK instead.

You could be waiting eons for the PFK if you order it, some have been waiting since May!! This is not Blades-UK fault, they are just in high demand and not enough produced to meet the demand.

Simoriax

Post by Simoriax » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:16 pm

The PPK is much the nicer sword, get that. Also.. even this wont take a tree down.

Stazbumpa

Post by Stazbumpa » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:10 pm

IMVHO PFK = the win!!!11

However, the although I personally believe the PFK is better value for money (its actually more expensive in the USA than the PPK as a rule), the PPK doesn't come with a 9 million year waiting list.

I was lucky, I ordered mine at the right time and so was first in the queue when the first shipment came in. I'm also rather enormous so the oversized (for a katana) dimensions suit me perfectly.

If you want to customise (ie: new tsuba) then get the PPK, if not then save dosh and get the PK. Neither will disappoint you though, so either way your a winner :cool:

Bear in mind that you can get the PK and PW daisho for only £15 more than the PPK on its own. Food for thought sir.

Irish_Blade

PPK VS Fantasy Katana???

Post by Irish_Blade » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:11 pm

Cheers for all the advice guys, but still unsure :? I am quite tall (6ft 3) and i do like the look of the extra length tsuka. Ah well, ill have to get saving anyway so i should have time to decide. Thanks again!