Help!! Strange Marks on the blade.

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Wildfire

Help!! Strange Marks on the blade.

Post by Wildfire » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:37 am

Hi
I'm new to sword collection and have a Paul Chen Practical Katana. In an attempt to clean the balde my girlfriend used some metal polish on it and then re oiled it. But I now have some strange brass/yellow coloured marks on the blade??

What's the best way to get rid of these??

Thanks

Logan

Post by Logan » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:42 am

:shock: Dude, metal polish was a bad idea mate.

It has corrosive properties which carbon steel (the metal your blade is made from) does not agree with. The marks are no doubt due to this.

You should only ever clean the blade with a dry oily rag and only apply oil to the sword - no polish.

I'd await Darsun's reply to your post for advice on what to do, I have no idea I'm afraid. Hope it can be sorted.

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:03 am

Oh man!! I hope it can be reversed!!

NenMaster

Post by NenMaster » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:36 pm

it shouldnt be that bad if u clean it with that, but do it every time, expect a fooked blade

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:07 pm

So what's the best option to get rid of the weird marks? I'll try an dtake a pic tonight, I ran out of Hanwei oil as well, so have just ordered some. Had to use vegtable oil last night! :cry:

Logan

Post by Logan » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:13 pm

Best thing to do is take some pictures of the marks and post them here. Use http://www.imageshack.us to host them. Await Darksun's response.

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:30 pm

Cheers guys. I'm new to the swords thing. I've always wanted one and now am able to afford one as well as being allowed one having moved out to my own flat. My parents weren't too keen on having one in the house.

Solutech

Post by Solutech » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:26 pm

Dude how long have you had this blade ? .

They need oiling once every couple of weeks . Dont use metal polish on them . order a paul chen maintainence kit and use that . When you reoil the blade it needs a thin coat of oil . I use 3 or 4 squirts a side and gently rub it in . As said by Logan . Darksun can advise best on the removal of your marks . Hopefully they can be polished out .

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:34 pm

What can I use to polish out the marks. I've had the blade since Christmas, I did oil it every few weeks but ran out of oil and forgot to get any more, it got a little rust patch on it so my girlfriend decided she would try and help. :(

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:53 pm

without any pics of the blade i can only offer general suggestions as to how to take care of the marks on your blade.

cleaning the blade with alcohol (IPA170 cleaning solvent from maplins) and then using a rust eraser (from b-uk) to clean the rust patches off then clean again with alcohol then use autosol (meatal polish) to clean the marks left by the improperly removed previously applied metal polish off the blade tehn clean with alcohol again very vigorously to remove all traces of polish of the surface of the steel then apply a good coat of oil and resheath.

i will offer specific advice upon seeing some pics,

it may be that you will have to use some very fine grit sandpaper (100--2000 grit) to get any tarnish out fully from the surface of the steel but this is dependent on the depth of any corrosion or tarnish present. and whether or not the rust erasor or autosol will be sufficiant for the task.

kind regards

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:34 pm

Best of luck mate hope the sandpaper wont be nessisary.

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:28 am

Cheers Darksun!! I did it last night, looks fine now! :-D.

Thanks for everybody's help! BB where in the North are you?

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:30 am

Scottish Highlands.

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:44 am

Wow that is north! I thought you meant North of England.

Logan

Post by Logan » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:45 am

She's North of the North :-D