Sword abbreviations

Post your questions or seek advice on anything relating to swords

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Kamui

Sword abbreviations

Postby Kamui » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:19 am

Ok i thought i should post this sticky as many people ask about the abbreviations used as regarding swords
Most are as follows

PK= Practical Katana
PW= Practical Wakizashi
PT= Practical Tanto
PPK= Practical Plus Katana
PPW= Practical Plus wakizashi
PPT= Practical Plus Tanto
GO= Golden oriole (usually referring to the katana, most people will add wak to the end of it if reffering to the golden oriole wakizashi)
MM= Musashi miyamoto daito

that is all i can think of at the moment
people are free to add any others

Thankyou
Kamui
Banzai Joe wrote:Thats weird. Stared down at my penis at it looked like a trombone!!!! :|

Hatamoto wrote:Shoulda made the Titanic out of biscuits. At least things would have stayed level, more people could have gotten out :p

darksun_uk
Mod

Postby darksun_uk » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:32 am

a few more for he list:-

PFK= practical fantasy katana (the sword morpheus uses in the matrix reloaded)

*PPK*= practical pro katana (not often seen but its the renamed version of the PFK as seen on some mostly american sites)

seax, sax= scramasax a viking/saxon single handed single edged long knife carried edge up suspended in a sheath at the small of the back.

SLO= sword like object, a term used to describe any sword that is not practical in nature (i.e. a wallhanger) this term is sometimes used in a derogatory fashion but it is not objectively an insult.

JSA= japenese sword art

WMA= western martial art

waster= a wooden training sword

pell= a mansized dummy (or lump of wood etc) used to practice drills with a waster or bokken

CS= carbon steel or cold steel the company name.

heat treat= the heat treatment given to a sword blade to harden it and make it suitable for use as a weapon

temper=a process where the sword blade is exposed to lesser degrees of heat than in the heat treatment itself, this process takes away some hardness (depending on the smiths intentions) making the blade softer and less likely to shatter due to being to hard/brittle for the tasks/role it will be undertaking when finished.

Jaques

Postby Jaques » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:14 pm

PC - Paul Chen, as in the make (Suprised no one put that)

SS - Stainless Steel, a term used to describe any sword that is not practical in nature (i.e. a wallhanger) this term is sometimes used in a derogatory fashion but it is not objectively an insult. Lol, joke.

Solutech

Postby Solutech » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:40 pm

CS - Carbon Steel

W+T - Wind & Thunder Katana (K)
"I was at Woodstock . I fed on a flower person and spent the next six hours watching my hand"

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm softbits mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
=p =P =b :B ;p ;b ;P
Love is ...... Always fetching the tissue .

Wtf wrote: and you can stick that sword up your arse, chief

big_fella_andy

Postby big_fella_andy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:21 am

:P only a matter of time before a full convosation starts under this topic using all the aberviations.

while on the subject, thinking of buying a loverly CS PPW and PPK as a set together. :D

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:15 am

No mate this is a sticky that gen means its here fer reference only.
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

Return to “Advice & Questions”