Martial Arts

A forum for discussion on all things related to the martial-arts and oriental sword-arts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

User avatar
wtf?
Posts: 1586
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:31 am

Postby wtf? » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:49 pm

Lexxorcist wrote:The son I'm talking about is 19 now, so he should be ok.


oh right. lol

yeah... should be a laugh for him. send him on his way. lol
Image
God i LOVE these things.

Image

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

User avatar
Lexxorcist
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 2:02 pm
Location: South Yorkshire

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:19 pm

God, that makes me feel old. He's actually a stepson i inherited. The oldest of my own is the 12 year old tai kwon do-do.
Image

User avatar
Banzai Joe
Posts: 2267
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:30 am
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Postby Banzai Joe » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:55 pm

darkphoton1 wrote:first of, karate is absolutly NOT a standing art, peopel who stand in karate get sweeped quickly, as are people who dance around like soemthing out of hollywood.


I think your definition of 'standing' differs to most then. The nearest styles of karate that i know of that undertake groundwork are goju-ryu and wad-ryu. IIRC aren't you a shotokan ecponent (if not, i'm a fool and i apologise). Sweeping aint counted as groundwork. Judo, aikido, BJJ and other 'mat' MA's are.


i find i am best suited for wrist,finder and elbow locks, so i tend to get them into one of these and pull them down. this exposes thier neck and shoulder area. then i hit some pressure points with a technique we call in shotokan "raindrop" or some people refere to it as "teardrop"


See, now this is where i have a problem with your statement as this is my area. 12 years of aikido, studying almost exclusively locks, throws, pressure points and the past 2 years of aiki jujitsu. Never would i find any of the wrist locks easy to apply and certainly not in most cases. And pressure points??? :| for the love of baby jesus, applying them correctly are extremely hard, incorrectly are extremely dangerous. You sure you know what you're saying?
Maybe its me thats crap and you are an amazing talent. But i get the feeling that the gap between what i say and what i do is smaller than yours.


but again i will point out that these techniques work well for me, but not everyone else. i think that we should not assume im some nutjob who thinks that im a tank on legs and that i let people hit me when i fight them. my methods may seem strang but lets try to think .... "is there the slightest chance that MAY actually work?"


Sure, why not?! I dont doubt they 'can' work. But i'd hate to be the person scraping you off the floor when you try your 'absorb the punch and then wrist lock em' and end up with your own toes wedged up your rectum.

let us go further into the matter but let us not offend each other and undermine each others values.

Not trying to offend mate, just pointing out my cynisism to your posts. Not trying to undermine your values either, they are your own and i respect them.......as mine are mine, i just don't agree with yours. Its a healthy debate and i'm sure we can all learn something from it.
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

User avatar
Lexxorcist
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 2:02 pm
Location: South Yorkshire

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:22 pm

I'm also having trouble with this statement:

darkphoton1 wrote:
first of, karate is absolutly NOT a standing art, peopel who stand in karate get sweeped quickly, as are people who dance around like soemthing out of hollywood.


Unless by "standing" you mean "standing still". Even then, you shouldn't be swept that easily as you're taught to defend against sweeps. So, if you don't stand still and you don't dance around, what exactly do you do? Lay on your back or float in the air? Seriously, you don't stand still and you don't dance around. What exactly do you do?
Image

User avatar
darkhobo
Posts: 960
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:19 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Postby darkhobo » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:42 pm

I weight 245 lbs and consider myself to be a very hard hitter when I get a proper hit in. Open handed with room to move my body I could probly get your feet off the ground with a solid hit. If someone could take a open hand hit the chest from me and then put my in a wrist lock I would just bow to them.
Mos wrote:Americans :roll:

Mos wrote:ill say it again Americans

Simoriax wrote:well what do you know, i love americans! :)

User avatar
wtf?
Posts: 1586
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:31 am

Postby wtf? » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:48 pm

darkhobo wrote:I weight 245 lbs and consider myself to be a very hard hitter when I get a proper hit in. Open handed with room to move my body I could probly get your feet off the ground with a solid hit. If someone could take a open hand hit the chest from me and then put my in a wrist lock I would just bow to them.


if anyone past about 12 stone put in a strike... a good strike, and it bounced off his chest... id be MASSIVELY surprised. 12 stone, traveling at 100+ mph, focused onto a 2" square... dont ewanna do the math, but i will say 'ouch'
Image

God i LOVE these things.



Image



Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

User avatar
darkhobo
Posts: 960
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:19 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Postby darkhobo » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:05 pm

I dont know how much 12 stone is :cry: lol
Mos wrote:Americans :roll:

Mos wrote:ill say it again Americans

Simoriax wrote:well what do you know, i love americans! :)

User avatar
Lexxorcist
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 2:02 pm
Location: South Yorkshire

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:11 pm

darkhobo wrote:I dont know how much 12 stone is :cry: lol


Just over 76 kilo, 168 lbs
Image

User avatar
Hatamoto
Posts: 1545
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:04 pm
Location: Abercynon, South Wales
Contact:

Postby Hatamoto » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:13 pm

I think 12 stone would be something like what, 180lbs, or something? 170? Somewhere around there, I think, I usually deal in lbs or stone. I weigh about 235, side kick from me is a beaut, but it's mostly for showing off on a punchbag lol, wouldn't dare use it in a street fight, talk about exposed.

What do you guys think about western boxing for self defence? Obviously I'd need something else to be properly able to handle a street encounter, but for the standy uppy side, I thought boxing would be a good idea, what do you reckon?
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

User avatar
Lexxorcist
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 2:02 pm
Location: South Yorkshire

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:22 pm

Hatamoto wrote:side kick from me is a beaut, but it's mostly for showing off on a punchbag lol, wouldn't dare use it in a street fight, talk about exposed.


I'm not sure I agree there, unless you mean a flying side kick. It's a powerful kick, and it distances you from your opponent in a way. I wouldn't personally go for any high kicks in a real fight, but I wouldn't rule out a side kick altogether.
Image

User avatar
wtf?
Posts: 1586
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:31 am

Postby wtf? » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:51 pm

as far as im concerned... anything below the waist is useable, if done right... above the waist if the opponent is lying down, or on a knee.

flying kicks, and kicks above the waist of a standing opponent are suicide. no question.
Image

God i LOVE these things.



Image



Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

User avatar
Lexxorcist
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 2:02 pm
Location: South Yorkshire

Postby Lexxorcist » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:09 pm

Yes, flying, spinning and high kicks are all things I wouldn't use in real fights (and not just because i'm too old and knackered to perform them well). I'll go out on a limb here (excuse the pun lol) and say I wouldn't rule out a kick to the stomach. There's instances where you may have punched to the face and whether you hit or miss, your opponent raises his hands and is slightly off balance, and a side kick to the stomach can be effective. I'm only saying I wouldn't personally rule it out though if I saw the moment, not that it's genreally advisable.
Image

User avatar
wtf?
Posts: 1586
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:31 am

Postby wtf? » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:19 pm

Lexxorcist wrote:Yes, flying, spinning and high kicks are all things I wouldn't use in real fights (and not just because i'm too old and knackered to perform them well). I'll go out on a limb here (excuse the pun lol) and say I wouldn't rule out a kick to the stomach. There's instances where you may have punched to the face and whether you hit or miss, your opponent raises his hands and is slightly off balance, and a side kick to the stomach can be effective. I'm only saying I wouldn't personally rule it out though if I saw the moment, not that it's genreally advisable.


the stomache is only a few inches above the waist, so in various circumstances, you strike could be delivered quickly. so less danger is involved.

the 1 drawback is that the higher the strike, the more chance an untrained person has of blocking/parrying it with his arms.
Image

God i LOVE these things.



Image



Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

User avatar
Dreadnought
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:02 am
Contact:

Postby Dreadnought » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:20 pm

Perhaps I'm getting this wrong but moving towards a blow and then tensing up to absorb it, sounds counter productive and doesn't bring to mind Newtons law, Einsteins theory of relativity maybe (fist traveling at say 50mph + you moving forwards at say 20mph = smack in chops at 70mph, doesn't sound like fun to me :| lol)

I'm with darkhobo and wtf? you have to be a very special individual to get whacked by a person of a certain stature and "absorb the blow" then calmly lock them up

P.S I'm a student of caveman fu, its mostly shouting "UG" at the top of your lungs and clubbing people until they stop moving, its rarely let me down lol

P.P.S Newtons law would work I suppose, the only downside would be the equal and opposite reaction would be who ever gets whacked flying back and landing on the floor in the starfish position lol
Image
BlackRonin wrote:ahh a boy playng with his big snake what fun :D

User avatar
wtf?
Posts: 1586
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:31 am

Postby wtf? » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:28 pm

Dreadnought wrote:Perhaps I'm getting this wrong but moving towards a blow and then tensing up to absorb it, sounds counter productive and doesn't bring to mind Newtons law, Einsteins theory of relativity maybe (fist traveling at say 50mph + you moving forwards at say 20mph = smack in chops at 70mph, doesn't sound like fun to me :| lol)

I'm with darkhobo and wtf? you have to be a very special individual to get whacked by a person of a certain stature and "absorb the blow" then calmly lock them up

P.S I'm a student of caveman fu, its mostly shouting "UG" at the top of your lungs and clubbing people until they stop moving, its rarely let me down lol

P.P.S Newtons law would work I suppose, the only downside would be the equal and opposite reaction would be who ever gets whacked flying back and landing on the floor in the starfish position lol


because your the size of a small buffalo, Jai. stop showing off. :D
Image

God i LOVE these things.



Image



Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.


Return to “Fudoshin Dojo”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest