Hanwei Shinto or Bamboo mat katana

kevbearsmith

Hanwei Shinto or Bamboo mat katana

Postby kevbearsmith » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:37 am

Hey guys!

Curious about the two swords so i wanna see your opinions on the two, which is better, in terms of steel, handling, aesthetics etc..

Also, if someone could delve deeper into which is the better steel, between T10 and Hanwei's High Alloy HWS-2s steel, that would be great!

Keep it tight, Kev.

Geordie Ross

Re: Hanwei Shinto or Bamboo mat katana

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:32 pm

No idea never seen them 2 but if you have near 500 quid to spend I'd say there's better swords there like the bushido or the meijin folded kat
Ps the free raptor tanto offer is back on when you buy the wak :GGe highly recommended lol bargain
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:44 pm

The Shinto is an often overlooked sword which has been one of the stalwarts of Hanwei for many years which I can honestly say is fantastic but having just looked on the main site, the Tori on special offer just below the Bamboo Mat is an absolute steal at that price, it won't suit everyone's taste but I'm not a lover of swords with bling, so I guess I'm biased.
I've never owned a 'Bamboo Mat' so anything I write would only be other people's opinions and second hand info' can often be misleading.
As for the steels...
T10 is the Chinese equivalent of AISI 1095.
Nobody outside of Hanwei seems to know exactly what HWS-1 or 2S is, except that it stands for 'HanWei Steel 1 or 2 Swords' opposed to HWS-1 or 2K as 'HanWei Steel 1 Knives', allegedly, which isn't a great deal of help to you or anybody else but it has had some good reviews.
Last edited by Moon on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:11 pm

i,ll have to go with moon on the views about the shinto owning this katana im not one for long reviews
on swords but i will say its worth every pennny you spend on it a good buy for anyone
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

AK797

Postby AK797 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:19 pm

I'm very interested in the Shinto kat so good to read it has some fans.

spellmad2003

Postby spellmad2003 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:54 pm

the 'Bamboo Mat' has the best looking blade I have ever seen the harmon is 2nd to none my fav like it better than the busido one :)).
plus if you look on you tube theres a vid all about the matt/liondog,

spellmad2003

Postby spellmad2003 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:59 pm

Return to “Blades UK Forum”