Photos Of Kill Bill Sword as promised

Lone Wolf

Re: Photos Of Kill Bill Sword as promised

Postby Lone Wolf » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:39 pm

?.......I need to come on here more, time to read back what I've missed.

Right well I think that was rather harsh to speak like that to a noob, he's clearly got the thing more out of love of a movie then an interest in swords, a movie I can't stand thus the reason I've not been upto date on this thread.

For what its worth I thought the reason swords where displayed blade up was to perserve the saya from having a sharp blade slowly cutting into them loosening the fit :S

As for the stuff about it being a cheapo chinese sword, well the level of respect you attribute to things is purely subjective, a handforged blade is a handforged blade it shouldnt matter if the blood sweat and tears where that of a chinese or a japanese person, they are both skilled and your view of cheap is based on your income, you can buy a perfectly fine functional sword for little over 100 quid or spend a couple of grand, it's really down to you if you view the cheaper ones with disdain and is more a reflection of your view of value for money and the level of your pay then it is the sword itself.

I'm left handed so all my swords are displayed that why round as its natural not that I'd ever use any if them I'm too damn short to use a katana.

pjm

Postby pjm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:?.......I need to come on here more, time to read back what I've missed.

Right well I think that was rather harsh to speak like that to a noob, he's clearly got the thing more out of love of a movie then an interest in swords, a movie I can't stand thus the reason I've not been upto date on this thread.

For what its worth I thought the reason swords where displayed blade up was to perserve the saya from having a sharp blade slowly cutting into them loosening the fit :S

As for the stuff about it being a cheapo chinese sword, well the level of respect you attribute to things is purely subjective, a handforged blade is a handforged blade it shouldnt matter if the blood sweat and tears where that of a chinese or a japanese person, they are both skilled and your view of cheap is based on your income, you can buy a perfectly fine functional sword for little over 100 quid or spend a couple of grand, it's really down to you if you view the cheaper ones with disdain and is more a reflection of your view of value for money and the level of your pay then it is the sword itself.

I'm left handed so all my swords are displayed that why round as its natural not that I'd ever use any if them I'm too damn short to use a katana.

lone wolf, i have the upmost respect to anyone with enough talent and skill to make any item in this world, more so for swordsmiths as its a pure art form to me, my swords were bought for 2 reasons, yes one of them being due to the film, the other because i love swords and have done so for many years, i had 28 or 30 of them before my sisters had kids resulting in me giving them away to make my house child safe, i like and love swords, always have always will,

at the end of the day swords are killing weapons etc etc and mine get treated with respect in that sense, i dont see the reason why i should treat them the way the Japanese treat theirs, iam not japanese nor in japan, in my reasoning if i did treat them in the same sense then in my opinion would be insulting to the very thing this post has turned out to be about especially when my swords are not genuine japanese made swords but chinese copies which no matter how they were made is all they are, well made chinese copies
If i didn't have bad luck i would have no luck at all

Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:38 pm

But unless your spending many grand if you got one from japan it would be made the same way and by someone with the same amount of training, maybe even a chinese migrant so I still personally don't see the relevance in the nationality of the blade, just the skill that made it.

Theres a lot of talk about japanese tradition and the samurai soul but who knows whats real and whats been pegged on later, I find it hard to believe that anyone who thought their weapon was an extension of the self would go and get them modified in such drastic ways as they did.

Even so I don't see them as a killing weapon, I see them as the epitome of a tool for a job, to be appreciated and admired as much as any sports car, fancy greek architecture or watch.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:44 pm

The way I see it, is the Japanese are very pedantic about ritual, tradition, ceremony, respect etc, I'm fairly sure they wouldn't approve of westerners idolising production katanas, I think it devalues the ceremonial respect they show to pedigree katanas.
Pjm, its your sword and your choice to display it however you see fit, it may be considered a "faux pas" to traditionalistic katana appreciators, but we are mere collectors.
But that's just opinion, totally subjective.
As moon says, "opinions are like arse holes, everyone has one and they're usually full of sh*t".
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:51 pm

I think you have shinto to blame for that, when everything contains a soul everything becomes a ceremony.

I'm sure they still have some level of respect for the poor, we may not be able to afford the best and those thats probably a good thing because those who can will inevitably be treating them with some level of disrespect in their eyes but at least we are keeping the spirit alive even in our cheap bits of junk we don't fully understand but our hearts are in the right place.

:GGG

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:08 pm

I agree lone Wolf, I still find it rather brutal to attack someone's personal character and rant incessantly over a difference of opinion, very distasteful to say the least.

pjm

Postby pjm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:40 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:But unless your spending many grand if you got one from japan it would be made the same way and by someone with the same amount of training, maybe even a chinese migrant so I still personally don't see the relevance in the nationality of the blade, just the skill that made it.

Theres a lot of talk about japanese tradition and the samurai soul but who knows whats real and whats been pegged on later, I find it hard to believe that anyone who thought their weapon was an extension of the self would go and get them modified in such drastic ways as they did.

Even so I don't see them as a killing weapon, I see them as the epitome of a tool for a job, to be appreciated and admired as much as any sports car, fancy greek architecture or watch.

ok i agree with that wolf

pjm

Postby pjm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:44 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:I agree lone Wolf, I still find it rather brutal to attack someone's personal character and rant incessantly over a difference of opinion, very distasteful to say the least.

yea and by someone who has acted like a fool whilst calling other people fools

oh well some people just think they are better than others when having no knowledge about the people they talk about

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:17 pm

Yes, he may be knowledgeable on katanas, but he has no right trying to belittle and tell us we "have no business even owning a katana", one of the most epic displays of total arrogance I've witnessed it a very long time, the whole "ask mick who I am" is egotistical and chauvinistic. He's turned the thread rather sour now...

pjm

Postby pjm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Yes, he may be knowledgeable on katanas, but he has no right trying to belittle and tell us we "have no business even owning a katana", one of the most epic displays of total arrogance I've witnessed it a very long time, the whole "ask mick who I am" is egotistical and chauvinistic. He's turned the thread rather sour now...

yea i agree geordie, but being self proclaimed knowledgeable without proof to me is as good as none at all and as for him knowing mick holds no water with me at all what so ever,

i buy and sell gold and silver etc etc and have done so for 24 years, am i all knowledgeable in silver and gold, not in any way at all, i know enough to know what iam doing and to help out a local charity shop when they get things they dont know anything about, even help out an antiques shop with some of the stuff they get in too altho they are competition lolol

Return to “Sword Forum”