Throwing knife newbie

KaiBosh

Throwing knife newbie

Post by KaiBosh » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:24 pm

Hi all,

First time poster here.

I just bought a lovely set of Scorpion throwing knives from Blades UK for my son, who probably got the idea from video games...

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for a target. We don't seem to be able to get them to stick in any hardwood boards I had hanging around, and I don't want to damage any trees.

I feel like a dartboard would be good but probably wouldn't last very long. Anyone know a good material that will a) accept the blade, and b) won't disintegrate.

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks,

KaiBosh

Loz
Blades UK

Re: Throwing knife newbie

Post by Loz » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:57 pm

don't throw them at wood, soften the impact with cardboard, foam or straw archery board, they'll last a lot longer

Dotanuki2K

Re: Throwing knife newbie

Post by Dotanuki2K » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:34 pm

Thick corregated cardboard works best, like what they use in shipping containers.
Tape a few sheets together, 3 or 4 would be best into a size you would think best. then when you are done with one side you could flip it over and use the other.
This would best for training, easiest on the knives and most realistic for sticking.
Regular cardboard works too, but regular cardboard varies a lot, corregated cardboard is best

Later. when you think you have it down, for fun, try freshly picked pumpkins or watermelons.(make sure they are hard)

A way to test how a target will work, is to stab by hand hard with your throwing knife. this will give you a good idea what will happen when you throw at it.

Years ago I worked in a shop that had a whole warehouse full of cardboard, I also had an old softwood office door for a target that lasted as long as the corregated cardboard.
I was the foreman so I had full access to these materials.